[rohrpost] ## REBEL:ART NEWS May02 ##

alain bieber I rebel:art alainbieber at yahoo.de
Don Mai 13 20:05:17 CEST 2004

** please post your news also to the rebel:art
mailinglist for art and activism:
rebelart at yahoogroups.com

#############################
REBEL:ART NEWS May02
#############################

# FILM: “THE MERCHANTS OF COOL”

See the great documentary of Douglas Rushkoff (Media
Virus) online:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/cool/view/

# OPEN CALL: MEMEFEST 2004

Time’s a-wasting! The May 20th deadline for Memefest
2004 is fast approaching. Entry is free and easy. And
you can submit your work through our online form :
http://memefest.org/en/index.php?meme=competition&submeme=submit_your_work
Just signup for a free user name and login through our
website. There's no time to waste. Submit now...
Submit often... (You can enter as many different
projects as you wish.) Students of visual arts,
design, communications and sociology should go to the
Memefest website for competition details
(http://www.memefest.org). While artists and
activists with a desire to explore modes of
communication that fall outside the market
paradigm should check out the Beyond... category at
http://beyond.memefest.org. (Remember: non-students
can enter the Beyond...category.) If you have any
questions, be sure to contact us at
memefest at memefest.org. Hurry... Subvert. Create.
Enjoy.

# OPEN CALL: CAMP FOR OPPOSITIONAL ARCHITECTURE

http://www.anarchitektur.com
>From June 25th till 27th 2004, the political
architectural journal An Architektur organizes the
"Camp for Oppositional Architecture" in Berlin. This
international, open congress is searching for
possibilities of resistance within the field of
architecture and planning. An Architektur invites
theorists, offices, initiatives and other groups
active within these fields to present and develop
their positions together. How could politically
relevant work on the basis of planning and
architecture or with the means of their critique look
like today? How to criticize the demands of a
capitalist production of space? How to take
a non-affirmative part within this powerful
contiguity? To participate in the internal part please
send a paper* explaining your own work and it’s
objectives as well as your interest in the Camp. The
Camp is free of charge. All participants will have
free board and the possibility of accommodations
in the Camp Space.

# CHAMP LIBRE: EAUX ARTES ÉLECTRONIQUES

http://www.champlibre.com/eaux/
Inspired by UNESCO's International Year of Freshwater
2003, EAUX ARTES ÉLECTRONIQUES ! is a five-day event
that flows from May 19-23 and explores the
relationship between water and architecture in a city
that is itself island-based. Through a series of slide
shows broadcast in situ, the walls will ripple with
the works of four Montreal photographic artists --
Thomas Béhuret, Natalie Gadoua, Brigitte Henri and
John Londoño -- and for one night multimedia artist
Yan Breuleux will transform the station into a
blue room.

# RE-LOCATION ON TOUR

http://www.re-location.org
Taking into account our changing view of Europe in
geographical, political, social and cultural terms,
the Re:Location 1-7 / Shake project took the form of a
work in progress, intended to last three years seeking
to experiment novel ways of working together among
partners operating in very different circumstances.
The challenge involved bringing art centres from eight
countries to work together on
a joint project, not by imposing any single
standpoint, but rather enriching these different
artistic circumstances by confronting them
with each other's specific situations.

# OPEN CALL: IMPAKT 2004 : TRANSLATION

http://www.impakt.nl/
The Impakt foundation invites to artists to send
proposals for their online art project Impakt Online.
Impakt would like to show six projects by artists who
use the Internet as medium as a starting point
for their work (net. art). Please send in your
proposal by email to: online at impakt.nl

EVENTS (LIVERPOOL, WIEN, TÜBINGEN)

LIVERPOOL

# FACT: MEETING OF SITUATIONIST SIM CITY

28/05 2.30 PM, FACT, 88 Wood St., Liverpool, UK
Booking & information: thorn at fact.co.uk
With : JULIAN DIBBELL (Wired), NATALIE BOOKCHIN
(agoraXchange), ED HALTER (Village Voice), JELENA
KLASNJA, KRISTIAN LUKIC The similarities between the
'physical' and the 'virtual' in online
Gaming worlds have inspired the imaginations of
artists, writers, and the Hollywood hive mind. Yet
these parallels are by no means accidental the
creators of these gaming worlds made conscious, often
scholarly efforts to design systems that effectively
emulate real-world society. At the same time, the most
complex games allow users the free will to shape their
online societies in their own image. The complexities
of our society, politics, and
economy have been mapped onto virtual worlds by both
creators and participants. Any questions we ask of
these worlds, we ask of our own.

WIEN

# BASIS WIEN: GHEORGHE & BREAKFAST

http://www.basis-wien.at/
18/05 18 Uhr (MZ, AzW Hof) Vortrag: Cãtãlin Gheorghe
*A context under construction.” Art in Romania*
19/05 14-18 (Kunsthalle Wien) basis wien als
Gastgeberin bei permanent breakfast:
(http://www.permanentbreakfast.org)

TÜBINGEN

# ZATOPEK: YOMANGO & POLITICAL CORRECTNESS
http://www.immerdienstags
18/05, 20.30h: "Political Correctness" und die Künste.
Über das lange Leben eines reaktionären Kampfbegriffs.
Von und mit Thomas Rothschild
25/05, 20.30h: YOMANGO oder die freie Zirkulation von
Wissen, Gütern und Bedürfnissen Eine
Theorie-Praxis-Performance mit YOMANGO (Barcelona)

#
#
#

=====