[rohrpost] Tonight and not only!!! Raum 3!!!

Joulia Strauss jouliastrauss at gmx.de
Fre Jun 17 01:36:25 CEST 2005

Sehr verehrte Damen und Herren,

wir bitten um Verzeihung für die Verwendung der ausschliesslich englischen
Sprache und weisen auf die folgende vernunftige Veranstaltung hin:

>>> Biennale! Artists Film and Video

 >>> Raum 3 Berlin, Ziegelstrasse 20, 10117 Berlin

 >>> Eröffnung, Friday 17. Juni 2005, 7 - 10 PM

This Friday, Raum 3 will launch an eight day presentation of a
selection of works from the 2005 'Biennale! Artists Film and Video,'
which was originally organized by Anthony Gross for the
temporarycontemporary, a small non-profit art space in London. A total
of eight works will be featured as a projection over the next week, and
will also be available for viewing on demand.

OPENING NIGHT FEATURE
FRIDAY, 17. Juni 2005, 7-10 pm

Mark Aerial Waller's Reversion of the Beast Folk (2004)
a ritualistic recreation of HG Wells' "The Island of Dr. Moreau"

Working through drawing, props, and site specific sculpture and
installation, Waller has been engaged in a critical re-evaluation of
cinema. He is the founder of The Wayward Cannon, a platform for
event-based interventions in film and television. His projects are
typically durational, and introduce a specific relationship between the
films and the spaces in which they are presented; they have included: a
15-hour monument to Fassbinder's "Berlin Alexanderplatz" (1980) and
"Simon & The Radioactive Flesh" a compilation of artist video's which
aim to adulterate Louis Bunuel's "Simon of the Desert" (1965).

Reversion of the Beast Folk (14 min) will be screened continuously from
7 to 10 pm on Friday evening, and features an accompanying light show.
This event represents the first presentation of Waller's work in
Berlin.

SATURDAY, 18. Juni:    Jen Wu
                    YouthInAsia1: Killing Me Softly (2005)
Wu uses personal experience as source material for the production of
installation work and video. In YouthInAsia, home-video footage of one
of the artist's teenage piano recitals is deployed to comment on the
ritualized violence of social interactions.

SUNDAY, 19. Juni:         Damon Packard
                    Reflections of Evil (2002)
In execution and tone, Reflections of Evil is both a fairy tale and a
horror film set against the backdrop of Los Angeles' most visited theme
parks. Since its release, the work has achieved a cult status, and is
as much a grotesque comedy as it is a cruel engagement with Steven
Spielberg's Hollywood.  120 min

MONDAY, 20. Juni:         Lu Chunsheng
                    The History of Chemistry (2004)
A captain and crew traverse a sparse landscape-- a journey which begins
in a rocky coastal terrain and eventually reaches an industrialized
site. Nearly without dialogue, the narrative arc of The History of
Chemistry is a productive working through of absence, and the
negotiation of psychic and physical space.  29 min

TUESDAY, 21. Juni:     David Blandy
                    What is Soul? (2002)
In What is Soul?, Blandy is seated in a bedroom as he lip-syncs to R&B
and hip-hop music. The work actively participates in the debates
surrounding the commercial marketing of so-called "ethnic" and "urban"
music to white audiences;  as we watch the video, the authenticity of
the artist's identification with black experience is called into
question.

WEDNESDAY, 22. Juni:     Josefina Posch
                    No Comment (2003)
A snippet of the news shot during the American invasion of Afghanistan
is excerpted and slowed down. At this reduced speed, the colors which
characterize the standard news set and the station logo become
hyperreal, as much as the asinine giddiness of the newscasters turn
sinister.

THURSDAY, 23. Juni:     Oriana Fox
                    Consciousness, Understanding N' Trust (2004)
Fox assumes a number of feminine guises in her work, roles which
ultimately do not offer the most flattering depiction of female social
dynamics. In this highly post-feminist work, the artist's campy
performance take place within a range of domestic spaces that act as a
forum, allowing her to explore questions of her own identity.

FRIDAY, 24. Juni:         Francis Lamb
                    The Fantasist (2003)
Lamb writes that he is interested in "how representations of space
specific to film affect both our imagination and our perception of our
environment." He isolates specific moments in film and re-edits them
in order to emphasize the emptiness and artificiality of its
constructed worlds. As part of this project, he has used video in The
Fantasist as a means of unveiling cinematic conventions and the
discourses which surround it.

Raum 3 is the project space of Bootlab e.v., a non-profit organization,
which hosts a number of groups and individuals working on media related
projects. Our research interests include ASCII strategies,
surveillance, copyright, wireless networks, free radio (reboot.fm), and
Open Source. Located in Berlin-Mitte, Bootlab is housed in the former
Telegraphy Center of Berlin, which also once served as the headquarters
for the East German Telecom. Bootlab has received project support from
the European Culture Commission, Kulturstiftung des Bundes, the
Heinrich Boell Stiftung and the Berlin City Council.

Contact and Hours

Bootlab: RAUM 3
Ziegelstrasse 20 - 10117 Berlin-Mitte
S-Bhf Oranienburger Strasse
Mo-Sa: 14-18 Uhr, So: 16-20 Uhr

T: +49 (0)30 26329577, M: +49 (0)176 235 949 26
http://www.bootlab.org/raum3
http://www.temporarycontemporary.com

for more information, please contact: alena at bootlab.org