[rohrpost] ISEA 2006 - Interactive City Early Call For Proposals -- DUE 23 APRIL 2005

Mirjam Struppek struppek at interactionfield.de
Mon Mar 14 22:04:56 CET 2005

------ Weitergeleitete Nachricht

ISEA 2006
Interactive City
San Jose, California, USA
1-14 August 2006

EARLY CALL DUE: 22 April 2005

ISEA INTERACTIVE CITY CFP: http://www.urban-atmospheres.net/ISEA2006/

GENERAL INFO ABOUT ISEA 2006: http://isea2006.sjsu.edu/

ISEA (International Symposium on Electronic Art) is a large, international,
two week long, conference and festival situated at the critical intersection
of art and technology (see http://www.isea2004.net for last year's festival
details).  In August 2006 the 13th ISEA will be held in San Jose,
California. ISEA spans a broad range of work from critical theory and
application papers, interactive demonstrations, videos, installations,
performances, and emerging music to name a few. In 2006 ISEA will feature
four themes: Interactive City, Community Domain, Transvergence, and Pacific
Rim.  Each theme will of course manifest itself at ISEA in the form of
papers, demos, performances, etc.  Each of these topics will also feature a
2 day event immediately preceding ISEA to further focus the topic and go
into more critical depth.  This announcement is for the early call for
proposals within the scope of the Interactive City.

The city has always been a site of transformation: of lives, of populations,
even of civilizations. With the rise of the mega city, however; with the
advent of 24/7 rush hours; with the inexorable conversion of public space
into commercial space; with the rise of surveillance; with the
computer-assisted precision of redlining; with the viral advance of the
xenophobic, the contemporary city is weighted down. We dream of something
more. Not something planned and canned, like another confectionary
spectacle. Something that can respond to our dreams. Something that will
transform with us, not just perform change on us, like an operation.

The Interactive City seeks urban-scale projects for which the city is not
merely a palimpsest of our desires but an active participant in their
formation. From dynamic architectural skins to composite sky portraits to
walking in someone else's shoes to geocaches of urban lore to hybrid games
with a global audience, projects for the Interactive City should transform
the "new" technologies of mobile and pervasive computing, ubiquitous
networks, and locative media into experiences that matter.

We are initiating an early Call for Proposals that manifest but are not
limited to the spectrum of ideas below. Interactive City proposals should
embrace aspects of the city of San José and/or the surrounding metropolitan
San Francisco Bay Area specifically.  We are seeking projects that are large
in scale, require advanced or special planning and/or permissions, or
projects seeking early review.

Let us experience your vision of the Interactive City!

MORE INFO: http://www.urban-atmospheres.net/ISEA2006/