[rohrpost] UBERMORGEN.COM necessary - 26.5.2006

Hans Bernhard play at ubermorgen.com
Fre Mai 26 15:55:09 CEST 2006

UBERMORGEN.COM necessary - 26.5.2006

We are happy to announce  Solo-Exhibitions in Dortmund (Hartware
Medienkunstverein) and Copenhagen (Overgaden Contemporary Art Institute)
and Group-Shows in Chicago, Nairobi, Naples and Madrid.

Media coverage on the GWEI - Google Will Eat Itself Project and
exhibitions was great this month (Flash Art, Springerin, ARTE,
DE:BUG, BR
and NDR - German television, Digicult, Neural Magazine, New York Art
Magazine, Mazine, Index,  Rhizome) .

The etoy.holding finally (after 5 years of legal battle) received the
definite European-Trademark for the name "etoy". From now on, the
etoy.holding is patrolling the European Union for trademark abuses.

With UBERMORGEN.COM we have some new projects in the pipeline, "AnuScan"
and "ART FID My ..." paintings,  MACHINIMA No. 1 - No. 4 (DVD), and a
new
collaborative project feat. Paolo Cirio and Alessandro Ludovico dealing
with Amazon.com Books. Additional to that we work on a 2007-project
dealing with  "Chinese Gold Farming".

The "Foriginal Media Hack No. 1" (happyslapping) of a police officer
mayday 2006 in Berlin was flat out over the top, thanks for beating the
shit out of us... sometimes we need it, desperately. We thank the
Stunt-Team Mazzotti Action ("V for Vendetta" by the Wachowski Bros and
"The Pianist" by Roman Polanski).

And just some last minute news... we won the prestigious Edith-Russ-Haus
Stipendium (Oldenburg, Germany) for Media Art (endowed with 10.000
Euros).

Please find all details, dates and links, in the attached "necessary
listing" including the extended version of Domenico Quarantas text about
the Psych|OS series and on ART FID in english and a link to the german
translation by Inke Arns.

Hugs,

Lizvlx, Hans Bernhard & Billie-Ada

---

UBERMORGEN.COM necessary listing
26.5.2006

---

Hartware Medienkunstverein (HMKV), Dortmund (Germany)

Solo-Exhibition "ART FID Foriginals"

Authenticity as consensual hallucination

Phoenix Halle, 27 May - 16 July 2006

curated by Inke Arns, (Junior Curator: Francis Hunger)

http://www.hmkv.de/dyn/d_programm_ausstellungen/detail.php?
nr=1050&rubric=ausstellungen&
http://www.hansbernhard.com/X/pages/painting/pages/ARTFID_my_object.html
http://www.hansbernhard.com/X/pages/seals/pages/ARTFID.html
http://www.ubermorgen.com/publications/HMKV_2006/
Lilly_controls_foriginal_d.pdf
http://www.ubermorgen.com/publications/HMKV_2006/
Lilly_controls_my_foriginal_ext.html

---

Overgaden Contemporary Art Institute, Copenhagen (Denmark)

Solo-Exhibition "Foriginals - Authenticity as consensual hallucination"

including a collaborative piece

Heath Bunting vs. UBERMORGEN.COM:
”dayplandrugblog. two ways to live your life as a (former) net artist”

Opening, June 14, 2006

curated by Jacob Lillemose

http://www.overgaden.org
http://www.hansbernhard.com/X/pages/seals/
http://www.ubermorgen.com/hansbernhardblog
http://www.ubermorgen.com/psychos

---

Springerin Article on GWEI - Google Will Eat Itself

Deutsch

http://www.springerin.at/dyn/heft.php?id=47&pos=1&textid=1756&lang=de

English

http://www.springerin.at/dyn/heft.php?id=47&pos=1&textid=1756&lang=en

---

Foriginal Media Hack No. 1

UBERMORGEN.COM declared this found footage video to

be an actionist art piece. a physical manifestation that is to

be viewed as a document of the art.

Documentation & Video under:

http://www.foriginal.com/no1

a collaborative project with Mazzotti Action.

http://www.amazzotti.com

---

The etoy.holding  finally receives the EU-Trademark

(covering the all 25 countries of the European Union)

for the name "etoy".

http://oami.europa.eu (search for "etoy").

---

Alliance Francaise, Nairobi (Kenya)
"Economy Class" Group-Exhibition

"Psych|OS Hans No. 2 (psychos_hans_02.jpg)"

http://www.hansbernhard.com/X/pages/photo/pages/psychos_hans.html

---

UBERMORGEN.COM MACHINIMA, 2006

Filmed from Screen, online version in black/white

(Gallery version in color), high contrast, on 1/first

take.

UBERMORGEN.COM MACHINIMA NO. 1

Play&Win 1.0.1

UBERMORGEN.COM MACHINIMA NO. 2

Pac the Man X 1.0.4a

UBERMORGEN.COM MACHINIMA NO. 3

Ladybugs 1.0

UBERMORGEN.COM MACHINIMA NO. 4

Blackjack Gold 1.2.1

http://www.ubermorgen.com/2006/projects/machinima.html

---

NEW: "ART FID My ..." painting series, 2006

http://www.hansbernhard.com/X/pages/painting/pages/ARTFID_my_object.html

NEW: ART FID Seal, 2006

http://www.hansbernhard.com/X/pages/seals/pages/ARTFID.html

NEW: AnuScan painting series, 2006

coming soon, meanwhile check out the web-painting "AnuScan"

http://www.AnuScan.com

NEW Chinese Gold - Photographs, 2006

http://www.ubermorgen.com/2006/projects/Chinese_Gold/

---

Stipendium

Edith Russ Site for Media Art
Edith-Ruß-Haus für Medienkunst

Leitung / Artistic Director Sabine Himmelsbach
http://www.edith-russ-haus.de

---

Psychotropic Blog Karaoke

Winner of Sitespecific.it Award

Music by Abe Linkoln (ABE & MO SING THE BLOGS)

http://www.ubermorgen.com/Psychotropic_Drug_Karaoke

http://www.sitespecific.it/en/monoroom/bernhard.html

http://www.ubermorgen.com/hansbernhardblog

http://artport.whitney.org/gatepages/january06.shtml

---

Lilly controls my Foriginals
Domenico Quaranta

In the projects series called Psych|OS, the Austrian artist duo
UBERMORGEN.COM (lizvlx/Hans Bernhard) is working on the subtle membrane
that connects the digital and the biological: a mix that UBERMORGEN.COM,
an identity that lives and works on the Net, experienced on their own
bodies. One of the best-known exponents of the net.art scene,
UBERMORGEN.COM are the theorists of digital actionism, a radical
practice
of artistic action which experiments on the market of attention and
takes
place in mass media. The most astonishing result of this kind of
practice
so far has been Vote-Auction (2000), a web site that, during the
American
presidential elections 2000, helped people sell their vote in an
auction.
The legal prosecution against UBERMORGEN.COM, and the media hysteria it
produced, are an integral part of the whole project. During this
mass-media-performance, UBERMORGEN.COM were interviewed up to 30
times per
day. CNN produced a 30 minutes show on the project in their legal format
Burden of Proof. In this feature, UBERMORGEN.COM never comment on
whether
the project was a real threat to the integrity of the U.S. election or
wheter it was a political satire.

In the mass media storm, the digital actionist works with her whole
body,
as well as part and victim of the network around her. “We are
children of
the 1980s, We are the first internet-pop-generation... Hans Bernhard is
loaded with 10 years of internet & tech [digital cocaine], mass media
hacking, underground techno, hardcore [illegal] drugs, rock&roll
lifestyle
and net.art jet set...”. Hans Bernhard`s neuronal networks are connected
to the global network, and his mental illness – the bipolar affective
disorder that in March 2002 sent him to a mental hospital – is the
network's illness. The video called Psych|OS (2005) sums up that
experience, in which those two levels – digital and real, bio & tech,
nervous system and operative system – merge.

This nervous system, infected by the hi-tech, needs a treatment, and the
hi-tech society prescribes its remedies, “bio-chemical 'agents' which
control the internal information flow”. Olanzapine, an antipsychotic
drug
produced by the pharmaceutical company Eli Lilly as Zyprexa®, is one of
these agents. In the digital prints Zyprexa “Lilly 1112” and Zyprexa
“Lilly 4117” (2006), UBERMORGEN.COM paints the drug molecular structure,
but during this translation process the molecule discovers to be made by
bits. “Just pixels on a screen, just ink on paper”, like Foriginals
(forged originals), the conceptual device UBERMORGEN.COM uses to change
legal documents into legal art. The statement “Lilly controls my
Foriginals” – a declaration of poetics that seems to be a declaration of
love, used as title for the recent personal show UBERMORGEN.COM had in
Brescia, Italy - comes from here. “Lilly controls my Foriginals” means
“Lilly controls my artistic work”, where Lilly just seems to be a
woman’s
name, is in fact the name of a pharmaceutical company. Lilly “controls”,
inspires as well as oversees, supervises the contact between my brain
and
my hard drive.
The Psych|OS Generator (2006) is the literal application of this kind of
control: a piece of software that asks the user about the symptoms of
her
disease and provides her with a remedy, in the form of a "forged
original“
medical prescription. On the one hand, UBERMORGEN.COM seems to underline
the irresistible analogy between the implications that have led to
illness
and the prescriptions provided to again recover one’s health – once
again,
technology is at the same time the disease and the remedy for a body
living in the networks. On the other hand, we have to take into account
the elements of dadaist randomness, of irony, of irrationality expressed
through a mathematical algorithm implied in the very form of the
“generator”. The situation appears to be something like a forced heir of
the hat out of which Tristan Tzara picked his poems, a tradition that
UBERMORGEN.COM, who have performed in the Cabaret Voltaire in Zürich,
know
very well. The digital environment we live in makes us fall ill and
prescribes us its remedies; but in the same time technology, as a medium
of expression, is a real remedy. This concept can be extended to the
blog
recently launched by UBERMORGEN.COM, the hansbernhardblog (2006): a
masterpiece of “digital intimism”, in which Hans Bernhard subverts the
form of blog, confronting the baroque sentimentalism of the confession
with the cold minimalism of the remedy: that is, talking about himself
through the simple itemizing of the substances he gets every day to keep
under control his widespread mind.

UBERMORGEN.COM’s focus on “the pixel as the molecule” and technology
as a
hidden demon relates also to the technology industries newest gadgets --
RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) chips are one of the leading
technologies of the future: an identification system that can collect
diverse information about the products it is attached to as well as the
person that has made purchase of the product. We can read in Wikipedia:
"an RFID tag is a small object that can be attached to or incorporated
into a product, animal, or person. RFID tags contain silicon chips and
antennas to enable them to receive and respond to radio-frequency
queries
from an RFID transceiver“. It is, in short, a kind of digital DNA,
usually
used as an evolved substitute of the bar code, but able to be used for a
long list of applications. It can be implanted under the skin, and
from a
formal point of view, it reveals an organic structure, surprisingly
similar to a cellular structure.

The ART FID (2005) series features some digital prints on canvas which
portray, magnified on a monochrome background, the structure of some
round
RFID chips. We feel like to be in front of some kind of monocellular
being
(a virus?), or a molecule seen through a microscope. First step: from
chip
to molecule. But its photographic picture, enlarged as to reach the
scale
of a pop icon (are the RFID chips the Campbell's Soup Can of the XXI
century?), unveils another nature, neither silicon nor molecular, but
digital. Second step: from molecule to pixel.

But there's something more. The ART FID series have been shown for the
first time during ART 36 Basel, announced by a press release – a media
hack in pure UBERMORGEN.COM's style – talking about an experimental
initiative by the same Art Basel: the introduction of the RFID
technologies into the art system, providing visitors immediate access to
information about all artistic works being presented, as well as access
fot gallerists into the financial situation and the purchasing power of
potential buyers. Third step: from pixel to individual and social body.

In other words, with the ART FID (2005) series UBERMORGEN.COM tells us –
using the visual impact of a suprematist painting - about this mix
between
biotechnologies and digital technologies, and between hardware, software
and wetware: a neverending overlapping of contiguous levels that is
shaping our identity, and that, by now, already shaped UBERMORGEN.COM's
one.

English Version Online:
http://www.ubermorgen.com/publications/HMKV_2006/
Lilly_controls_my_foriginal_ext.html

Deutsche Version (Translation Inke Arns):
http://www.ubermorgen.com/publications/HMKV_2006/
Lilly_controls_foriginal_d.pdf

---

UBERMORGEN.COM and its projects and exhibitions are currently
supported by the City of Vienna (Austria), Mana/Netznetz.net, Vienna
(Austria),  the BKA - Bundeskanzleramt (Austria), Pro Helvetia, BKA -
Bundesamt fuer Kommunikation (Switzerland), the Edith Russ Site
for Media Art, Oldenburg (Germany) and the Austrian Embassy in Denmark
and last but not least, [plug:in] Basel (Switzerland).

---

Hans Bernhard
UBERMORGEN.COM / etoy.holding

Skype Hans_Bernhard