[rohrpost] nochmal: unbeliebt, vielleicht in Frankreich

Andreas Broeckmann ab at mikro.in-berlin.de
Die Jan 29 15:08:04 CET 2008

... freilich wuerden die franzoesischen
kollegInnen die diskussion ueber das sein oder
nichtsein von medienkunst im moment etwas anders
fuehren wollen ...

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 13:50:15 +0100
To: spectre at mikrolisten.de
From: Jean-Noël Montagné <jnm at rom.fr>
Subject: [spectre] very bad news for 115 digital art social centers and
  festivals in France

Situation is getting worse and worse for artists
in France: 115 digital art centers, festivals and
mediathèques will not receive funds from Ministry
of culture this year, and will have to stop or
reduce strongly their activities. The
coordination of this network publishes this
communiqué for immediate release:

-----------

Culture Multimedia in France

We, the organizations and actors of "media
culture" for the last 10 years, have been working
on projects for the creation, the research and
the distribution of digital art for cultural,
education and mediation actions with the public,
across territories and through networking,
constantly inspired by the interests of the
general public. Also, we participate in
establishing benchmarks in customs and practices
of multimedia in our information society and in
general, by our participation and accompaniment
in these projects.

The French Ministry of Culture, without
consultation or hesitation and without providing
any justification, has chosen to withdraw from
the media culture, questioning its support of
more than 115 organizations in France, and of the
digital arts festivals and of digital creation
aids. In doing so the actors and local community
organizations involved are presented with a "fait
accompli".

Yet the same Ministry of Culture, in 1998 had
initiated a policy in support of cultural,
multimedia and artistic creation and
democratization, through an emphasis on
professionalizing of the actors, and on
supporting innovative modes of production with
artists and with the public. The policy was
unanimously endorsed by each successive
government, and its missions enacted, and it was
recognized as being of public interest, and
reaffirmed by the President in his letter of
Mission to Madam the Minister of Culture.

This act is in complete contradiction with the
strategic choices of this government on the
information society.

This act has substantial consequences for those
involved in the media culture, while the
individual amounts involved seem ridiculous:
between 5000 and 30000 euros per year, and have
specific and immediate consequences:

-The precariousness of the economy structures;
-The abolition of posts;
-Difficulties in welcoming visiting artists and the dissemination of works;
-Difficulties in organizing cultural and
educational actions for the public and for
schools;
-The closure of places for mediation and creation
for all the population on the whole territory;
-The endangerment of the newly created networks
for the exchange in actors and creators for areas
covering the entire country.

The balance of power created by the Ministry of
Culture convinces us to reaffirm the importance
of the actions that we carry out with artists and
with the public, and to arm ourselves with the
tools that will allow us to ensure the defense of
this sector, of its structures and jobs,
especially by formalizing the establishment of a
national federation of actors in the
media culture.

With this structure and given the stakes, we ask
for a review of government policy and call:

-Consistency between the statements by the
President of the Republic and the strategic
recommendations and practical implementation by
the Minister of Culture;
-Maintaining and strengthening public policies so
far in the field of media culture;
-Consultation with the industry players to
collectively build multimedia cultural policies,
public and private;

And we invite the actors of "media culture" for
whom this process and in the values raised by the
association is most relevant, to join the General
Assembly of the federation on February 18, 2008
in Paris.

This mobilization call for the review of
government policy in terms of french media
culture is part of a broader discussion related
to disengagement of the french State in terms of
cultural activities and more specifically in the
need for persistence and preservation of actions
brought with artists, researchersŠ and with
publics by all actors of "media culture".

http://www.culture-multimedia.org/

---------