[rohrpost] Call for works: a tulip. a bubble. a dead cinch.

lenab at hgb-leipzig.de lenab at hgb-leipzig.de
Mon Jun 11 18:38:44 CEST 2012

Call for Works

open to all visual artists working in any medium, living in Bilbao or Leipzig.

A tulip. A bubble. A dead cinch.

exhibition at D21 artspace Leipzig
november 19 – dezember 16, 2012

and at  ESPACIO ABISAL, Bilbao
may/ june 2013

The worlds´ finances, speculation on goods, the art market mechanisms
– protest against systems often does not go beyond criticism of
speculation. But what exactly is speculation? Without fully
understanding the nexus, financial speculation is often sorted out as
the root of evil. With growth as the mayor principle of our societies,
capitalizing the future is necessary.

Originally the latin word “speculari” refers to the meaning of
observing, peeking and looking into a far distance from a heightened
point of view. The speculative element has an essential role in
society, and regarding this meaning, it can be a progressive tool for
its development. But is speculation rather becoming a way of self
heightening, being faster and better, seeing further than others for
ones own advantage only?
As a philosophical practice, speculation is a period of transition, in
which we can come through thoughtful examination to questions and
answers that we can not solve logically. It´s part of the
rationalities´ constitution to strive after an understanding of the
world as a whole. This way, speculative thinking as the creative and
irrational could also open up an utopian space of thinking the future.
Speculation anticipates the future and affects the present.

What happens, if we look speculatively onto todays aspects of speculation?

How to submit:

. concepts or already existing works related to the theme
. examples of current works with a short artists statement
. short curriculum vitae including name and contact information

please send your submission via e-mail until AUGUST 31, 2012
to espacioabisal at gmail.com AND to office at d21-leipzig.de

*a cooperation between ESPACIO ABISAL, Bilbao (www.espacioabisal.org) and
D21 Kunstraum. Leipzig (www.d21-leipzig.de)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11297330/callworksspeculation03.pdf