[rohrpost] London: Media After Kittler (9 Okt.)

Geert Lovink geert at desk.nl
Don Aug 22 10:55:10 CEST 2013

Media After Kittler

Organised by The London Graduate School, Kingston University

Date: Wednesday 9 October 2013, 10am – 6pm

Location: Venezuelan Embassy, Bolivar Hall, 54 Grafton Way, London WC1

"Media determine our situation." F. A. Kittler, Gramophone, Film, Typewriter

Two years after Kittler’s death, at a time when subjects like media studies are under fire by neo-liberal governments across the West and seen as ‘luxury’ disciplines not worth investing in, there is an urgency to rethink, re-imagine and review media and what it/ they can do. In Kittler’s words, we are the subjects of media not the masters. This one day event examines the implications of this statement, his work and the potentiality of approaching media as a thought experiment.

Programme

10 – 10.30 Coffee & Registration

10.30 – 10.50 Welcome – Eleni Ikoniadou/ Scott Wilson (Kingston University)

10.50 – 11.20 Introduction – Martin McQuillan  (Kingston University)

11.30 -12.10 Bernhard Siegert (Bauhaus University Weimar)

12.20 – 1pm  Mai Wegener (Institute of Philosophy, Berlin)

1.10 – 2pm Lunch

2.00 – 2.40  Samuel Weber (Northwestern University)

2.50 – 3.30   Olga Goriunova (University of Warwick)

3.40 – 4.20  Matthew Fuller (Goldsmiths College)

4.30 – 5.10  Stefan Heidenreich (Berlin/Zurich),

5.20 – 6pm Roundtable

6.00 – 7.00 French Wine Reception