[rohrpost] THE ARCHIVE OF DIGITAL ART (ADA) FEATURES TAMIKO THIEL

Tamiko Thiel tamiko at alum.mit.edu
Don Dez 18 14:42:02 CET 2014

*THE ARCHIVE OF DIGITAL ART (ADA) FEATURES TAMIKO THIEL*

Check it out (scroll down): _www.digitalartarchive.at_

Tamiko Thiel is internationally renowned for her impressive
andpolitically-engaged virtual and augmented reality installations. She
visualizes thoughts and concepts with digital means in a sensitiveway
and combines it with real world places, objects and settings.This
approach allows her to provide a non-western perspective on western
culture, to reminds us of historical events right in the placeswhere
they happened or shows us how our neighborhoods could look like in the
future.

MATTHEW WILSON SMITH

>Like her creation Mariko Horo,[...]  Tamiko Thiel is a border-crosser and an explorer of virtual space. […]
It recalls Thiel’s work in showing how the concrete and the virtual, the
bounded and the streaming, the grid and the fold are now not only
inseparable, but mutually reinforcing<

OLIVER GRAU

>Art, that connects innovatively and  playfully contemporary digital culture with social, societal and
ecological issues, was developed by Tamiko Thiel in the last 20 years.
Particularlyinternationally renowned is her Memorial Art, that
impressively recalls the Berlin Wall or the Californian internment camps
in an unprecedented way<

CHRISTIANE PAUL

>Beyond Manzanar< (2000)[...] illustrates a chasm of cultural identity, contrasting a dream
world of cultural heritage with a reality of political injustice.<

The Archive of Digital art provides the most extensive documentation on
Thiel's Oeuvre containing works like >Shades of Absence: Outside
Inside<(2011), which gave a voice to artists who have been threatened
with arrest or physical violence by visualizing theirsilhouettes and
names with AR technology at Venice Biennale, or >Invisible Istanbul:
Captured Images< (2011) using smartphone augmented reality to overlay
virtual artworks onto physical spaces of specific sites in Istanbul,
creating surrealistic and poetic juxtapositions between real and virtual
within the context of the hidden urban dynamics of the places.

Some of her most acclaimed works documented in ADA recall historical
incidents by the means of immersive 3-D Virtual Reality installations:
 >Beyond Manzanar<(2000, with Zara Houshmand) recollects the suffering
of Japanese Americans in the internment camps during World War II and
 >Virtuelle Mauer/ReConstructing the Wall< (2008, with Teresa Reuter)
gives people who did not experience the Berlin Wall an idea of the
political, sociological and territorial division in former East and West
Germany.

_www.digitalartarchive.at_(scroll down)

*COLLABORTIVE ARCHIVING OF DIGITAL ART*

The large assortment of information on Tamiko Thiel and hundreds of
other leading artists and their artworks were carried out by the artists
themselves with members of the ADA community. The new ADA web tool
allows members to archive artist statements, works descriptions,
literature, information on exhibitions, high resolution images,
blueprints, videos etc.

Scholars also contribute to the archive by uploading their publications,
information on conferences, exhibitions and teaching. Artists and
scholarswork collaborativelyon the documentation and analysis of digital
art.

_https://www.digitalartarchive.at/support/account-request.html
_

*THE ARCHIVE OF DIGITAL ART – PIONEER IN THE FIELD*

Since its foundation in 1999, the Archive of Digital Art (former
Database of Virtual Art) has become the most important scholarly online
Archive for media art. In cooperation with established media artists,
researchers, and institutions, it has been documenting the rapidly
evolving world of digital art and its related fields for more than a
decade and contains today a selection of thousands of artworks at the
intersection of art, science, and technology.

ARTISTS represented, among many others: Rebecca ALLEN, SuzanneANKER,
Cory ARCANGEL, Roy ASCOTT, Louis BEC, Maurice BENAYOUN, Paolo CIRIO,
Charlotte DAVIES, FLEISCHMANN & STRAUSS, Masaki FUJIHATA, Ken GOLDBERG,
Agnes HEGEDÜS, Lynn HERSHMAN LEESON, Ryoji IKEDA, Eduardo KAC, Ken
RINALDO, KNOWBOTICRESEARCH, Lev MANOVICH, George LEGRADY, Golan LEVIN,
Rafael LOZANO-HEMMER, Joseph NECHVATAL, Michael NAIMARK, David ROKEBY,
Jeffrey SHAW, Julius v. BISMARCK, Paul SERMON, Karl SIMS, SOMMERER &
MIGNONNEAU, STANZA, Nicole STENGER, THOMSON & CRAIGHEAD, Peter WEIBEL,
et al.

Advisory board: Christiane PAUL, Roy ASCOTT, Erkki HUHTAMO, Gunalan
NADARAJAN, Martin ROTH, et.al.

ADA team:

Prof. Dr. habil. Oliver GRAU

Michaela SEISER (Editor, Community Admin)

Sebastian HALLER, Viola RÜHSE,

Wendy COONES, Ann-Christin RENN

(Editorial Team)

_digitalart.editor at donau-uni.ac.at_