[rohrpost] A GAME OF YOU: Into the Social Media Vortex

Tatiana Bazzichelli tbazz at disruptiv.biz
Mon Jul 6 20:44:49 CEST 2015

A GAME OF YOU
# Into the Social Media Vortex

Locations:  Kunstquartier Bethanien, Studio 1, Mariannenplatz 2, 10997
Berlin.
Partner Events: Spektrum, Bürknerstraße 12, 12047, Berlin.
Schedule: 8th of August 2015 (17.00-23.00, + open end bar), 9th of
August 2015 (20.30-22.30 + open end bar).

Admission: 5 Euro (Sat), 2 Euro (Sun). Performance events are donation
based.
Details: http://www.disruptionlab.org/a-game-of-you
In English language.

Third event of the Disruption Network Lab, directed by Tatiana
Bazzichelli, in cooperation with Kunstraum Kreuzberg /Bethanien.

Speakers:
Gabriel S Moses (sequential artist and graphic novelist, IL/DE); Zoe
Quinn (video game developer and artist, author of "Depression Quest",
and founder of the Crash Override Network, USA); Matthias Fritsch
(artist, author of videomeme Kneecam No.1 aka Technoviking, DE); Pedro
Lopes (artist & hardware t(h)inker, PT/DE); Oliver Lerone Schultz
(researcher, DE).

#GamerGate, Technovikings & Smart Media as a Psychedelic Webcomic -
survival in the wild torrents of our digital lives. Event inspired by
the work of sequential artist and graphic novelist Gabriel S Moses.

This two-day event brings a multi-angled perspective in which from one
side artists, graphic novelists, game developers, and researchers
question and play the narrative embedded into games, social media
platforms, and their usage; from the other side, they reflect on the
consequences of spreading our identity into the vortex of social media
imaginary, to the point that social media starts hunting us back, as we
become the game.
With the emergence of social media platforms we have been gaining new
abilities to play with the narrative, to affect both our imagined
recollections and our tangible physical environments. But is this a
means for better individual control or a plunge into an overwhelming
spin-out?

The cases of #gamergate and Technoviking demonstrate that borders
between games, smart media and our private life are often very
questionable. #gamergate has shown to an extreme degree that sexisms and
online hate can become really tangible, and that advocacy against
online-harassment is deeply needed. The story of Technoviking instead
has shown how Internet phenomena and memes can become a crucial question
of intellectual property and personal rights. So, is online life now all
a game or just a story?

Some would say language is now fully collapsing into the real.
Everything is at hand, everything is virtual; there’s an app for that;
all our most fundamental daily actions are quantified into generic
automation series, told apart by upgrades and business schemes. Herein
lies an invitation to ponder on and evaluate the current cognitive,
social and even political significance of these overarching online
multisensory 'game-stories' and to reconsider: what's their moral and
what's at stake? Or is this the kind of psychedelic trip Super Mario has
when he eats the wrong mushroom?

More Information: Disruption Network Lab (http://www.disruptionlab.org)
Tatiana Bazzichelli (Artistic Director and Curator) tbazz (at)
disruptionlab.org
Daniela Silvestrin (Curator and Project Manager) daniela (at)
disruptionlab.org
Kim Voss (Production & Social Media) kim (at) disruptionlab.org

A project funded by Hauptstadtkulturfonds Berlin

In cooperation with Kunstraum Kreuzberg /Bethanien
(http://www.kunstraumkreuzberg.de/)
and in collaboration with Spektrum art |science |community
(http://spektrumberlin.de/)
With a site-specific Cube intervention by Topics Books
(http://www.topics-berlin.com/).

Media partners:
taz. die tageszeitung; ExBerliner.com; Furtherfield.org

--
Tatiana Bazzichelli // Artistic Director
http://disruptionlab.org