[rohrpost] Video Vortex Call for Participation

Andreas Treske treske at gmail.com
Do Dez 1 06:36:20 CET 2016

Video Vortex XI: Call for proposals
23-26 February, Kochi-Muzeris, Kerala, India

Video Vortex XI: Video in Flux

Video technology has radically altered the way in which we produce, consume and circulate images, influencing the aesthetics and possibilities of moving image cultures, as well as yielding a rich body of scholarship across various disciplines. Given its ease of access and use, video has historically been aligned with media activism and collaborative work, further enabled by digital platforms, that facilitate transnational networks even as they exist within heightened systems of surveillance. Video has also emerged as the driving force behind the web, social media, and the internet of things. With an impressive autobiography dedicated solely to itself (Blom, 2016), video has almost become life-like. It is also a cause of vulnerability as in the case of recent hacking of web-connected cameras leading to a major network crash in America. Rapidly changing technological formats implicate the urgent need to engage with practices of archiving and curation, modes of collaboration & political mobilisation, as well as fresh comprehensions of the subject-spectator, actors & networks constituted by contemporary video and digital cultures.
We are interested in the sharing of provocations, research, speculations, video and film work that responds to current debates in film, video, media, networks, and game theory, while being particularly attentive to the implications that technologies of live video, surveillance, virtual reality, augmented reality, and artificial intelligence have for the future of video & media cultures.
Video Vortex XI, which is being held for the first time in South Asia, focuses on video theory and technology in order to highlight the particular histories of video in Asia. We are particularly interested in work that addresses the use of video in activism and political mobilisation, artistic practices, technological developments attendant to the medium (and its future), as well as the formal qualities of video in the digital post-national and post-medium context. The two day conclave will include screenings, discussions, workshops and round tables and we invite proposals that address (but are not limited to) the following themes. We are particularly interested in work that is Asia-centric but are open to contributions that engage with video cultures in the Global South :
Histories of video in Asia
Video art and activism
Aesthetics of Online video
Video and surveillance
Video archiving
Infrastructures and platforms of video
Emergent technologies of video and moving image

We invite proposals in the following formats:

Films & Curated Screening Programmes:
Filmmakers and video artists are invited to submit work that addresses the themes and concepts outlined in the Video Vortex XI call. Curators are invited to propose short screening programmes of up to 3 hours that showcase video/film work , in response to the themes outlined. A focus on Asia is encouraged, but is not essential.

2. Workshops:
We invite video practitioners, artists, researchers, scientists, content producers and theorists to submit proposals for workshops that explore critical making as a mode of critique and inquiry. We are particularly interested in hearing from those working with Virtual or Augmented reality. If you are proposing a workshop, please indicate costs for materials, as these will have to be built in separately as registration fees. All workshop organisers will have to make their own arrangements for materials required.

3. Sessions, individual contributions, reflections, responses & performances:
We welcome suggestions for sessions, round tables, and  individual interventions addressing any of the topics outlined in the call, as well as proposals for performances.

About Video Vortex XI
Video Vortex XI will take place in the Mill Hall, an old grain mill in the city of Muzeris, which is one of the locations for the Kochi-Muzeris biennale 2017.  Video Vortex XI will form a collateral event to the biennale, which attracts large numbers of artists, curators, scholars and tourists from around the world between the months of December 2016 and March 2017, when the biennale is on. For more information on the biennale see https://kochimuzirisbiennale.org <https://kochimuzirisbiennale.org/>.

Submission deadlines:
Please email proposals to Rashmi Sawhney: rashmi.sawhney at gmail.com <mailto:rashmi.sawhney at gmail.com> and Andreas Treske: treske at gmail.com <mailto:treske at gmail.com> by 16th December 2016.
Selected applicants will be notified by 30th December 2016.

Registration Fees:
All Video Vortex XI events are open to the public. However, some of the workshops may have registration fees to cover material costs.

Visa Application Guidelines:
The Srishti Institute of Art, Design and Technology will provide a letter of invitation to all Video Vortex participants who require one. Please note that it can take 1-4 weeks to get an Indian visa depending on your country of residence.
*

Travel and Accommodation: participants will have to make their own arrangements for travel and accommodation. However, we can recommend a list of hotels close to the Video Vortex venue.