[rohrpost] exmedia - a new postgraduate program at the academy of media arts cologne

k lingnau lingnau at khm.de
Do Nov 10 18:22:23 CET 2016

Dear Rohrpost,

in 2016 the Academy of Media Arts Cologne founded the new department exMedia that integrates Design, Coding, Space, Sound, Animation and Games.

Actually applications for a 4 semester prostgraduate program starting in fall 2017 are accepted until 09th January 2016. The winter term will start in October 2017.

Applicants should have a degree in Design, Architecture, Urbanism, Sound, Computer Science, Art, Theory/Sciences or Social Activism. Alternatively two years of experimental and research oriented professional experience is accepted.

exMedia
— experimental — expanded — existential

exMedia is an academic group which shares the conviction that
– experimental aesthetic projects and socio-technical research lead to an
– expansion of scholarly and creative horizons that effectively address
– existential human conditions in the 21st century.

exMedia is involved with the following fields: Hybrid Space, Cognitive and Transformation Design, Sound Studies, Experimental Coding, Animation and 3D/Games.
exMedia connects critical reflection with experimental approaches based on fundamental questions raised by individuals and society.
exMedia looks for self-motivated students able to take artistic risks and open to the unknown.
exMedia works on the conditions of a technology driven culture and addresses its future including post-media perspectives.
exMedia offers an unsurpassed opportunity of experiencing an exhilarating freedom of an art academy without being subjected to the ferocious rules of the art market.

In our postgraduate program we work with students and fellows from a wide range of backgrounds such as architecture, urbanism, design, sound, computer science, animation, games, art, theory and social activism. The projectbased studies environment challenges students to self-initiate individual research and develop complex and perhaps yet uncharted subjects and profiles.

We run specialized sound and 2D/3D animation laboratories to ensure enthusiastic exploration and experimentation to further advance student’s imagination and talents. We also work with widely available tools such as electonic microcontroller, lasercutter, motion capture, drones, 3D scanner/printer, CNC-milling machine.

– Profil exMedia

https://www.khm.de/fg_exmedia <https://www.khm.de/fg_exmedia>

– Information Diploma 2

https://www.khm.de/4semestriges_studium/ <https://www.khm.de/4semestriges_studium/>