[rohrpost] Superficial Intelligence

Brendan Howell brendan+soc at howell-ersatz.com
Mo Jul 29 15:59:36 CEST 2019

_SUPERFICIAL INTELLIGENCE_

Publication Launch and Unconventional Panel Presentations

https://www.facebook.com/events/2440219656043861/

Should we be afraid of machine learning systems stealing jobs, invading
privacy and spreading discrimination? Why are AI programs good at chess
but they have such a hard time avoiding cat poop? Which talking computer
from the movies has the best voice? We have some ideas but these
algorithms keep suggesting "other things we may like" and we have been
too distracted to come up with solid answers. Despite our deficit of
attention, we have put together a couple of conversations with artists,
writers and a few bots. An algorithm will take care of moderation and
insure that your engagement levels are appropriately high.

This event will launch the first issue of "Superficial Intelligence", a
'zine of Cyber Arts and Letters. The publication was bespoke printed on
a 1999 HP LaserJet 4015DN (repaired three times) with a cover made with
an 80s vintage, model 7475A Pen Plotter. Copies will be available for 12€.

On the (human) panel:

    Anna-Luise Lorenz - Artist and Designer

    Thibaut de Ruyter – Curator and Writer

    Brendan Howell – Artist and Reluctant Engineer

    Sebastian Schmieg – Artist

    Alice Cannava – Publisher and Editor

Invited Bots Include:
 ELIZA, Siri, Alexa, Google Assistant & Clippy

Contributors:

    Thibaut de Ruyter
    http://thibautderuyter.com

    Alice Cannava
    http://www.occultomagazine.com/

    Valentin Wedde
    https://www.instagram.com/valentin.wedde/

    An Mertens
    http://www.paramoulipist.be

    Anna-Luise Lorenz
    http://www.annaluiselorenz.com

    Drew McDermott
    http://cs-www.cs.yale.edu/homes/dvm/

    Sebastian Schmieg
    http://sebastianschmieg.com/

    Scandinavian Institute for Computational Vandalism
    http://sicv.activearchives.org

    Janelle Shane
    http://aiweirdness.com/

    Brendan Howell