[rohrpost] Call: Potsdam Summer School 2022: „Towards a Sustainable Transformation – Climate, Energy and Nature in a Changing World” (August 22-31, 2022)

Ingeborg Reichle ingeborg.reichle at kunstgeschichte.de
Do Feb 17 08:13:59 CET 2022

CALL

POTSDAM SUMMER SCHOOL 2022

Towards a Sustainable Transformation – Climate, Energy and Nature in a
Changing World

August 22-31, 2022 in Potsdam, Germany

The deadline for submitting applications will be April 30, 2022.

With its overarching theme - “Towards a Sustainable Transformation –
Climate, Energy and Nature in a Changing World” – the Potsdam Summer
School will in 2022 continue the transdisciplinary and interactive
series of events that has been held annually in Potsdam, Germany since
2014.

Humankind is facing a huge challenge: Climate change threatens the
foundations of life on our planet. To preserve these foundations, the
fossil era must come to an end. This will lead to profound changes in
our ways of producing goods, our means of transportation, and
ultimately the way in which we live. We are at the beginning of a
great transformation, which can bring benefits as well as new
inequalities. It is important to shape this in a just and sustainable
manner, while protecting the environment and thereby securing future
life for people in all regions around the globe.

Participants of the Potsdam Summer School will be engaged in
discussions and group works and will be provided with tools to develop
effective strategies to solve the challenges they face in their daily
work, while also gaining a comprehensive perspective and overview
surrounding the three aspects of a sustainable transformation:

• Climate
• Energy
• Nature

Action on climate change needs a joint and strong collaboration of the
entire international community. The burdens and causes of climate
change are unevenly distributed over the world, and future generations
will suffer much more.

The transformation of energy systems is obviously one of the key
factors of climate mitigation. Fossil fuel-free means of producing
energy must be developed and implemented. But this transformation also
involves a societal change. The loss of biodiversity and climate
change threaten human living conditions on our planet. The
examples of polar and marine regions or the amazon region illustrate
the importance of nature conservation.

The aim of the Potsdam Summer School is to bring together talented
early-career scientists and young professionals operating in the
private sector, governmental agencies, and non-governmental
organisations from many different parts of the world to discuss
frontier (research) questions on future sustainable development. This
call is also open for artists and curators.

The organisers also intend to enable participants to engage with
various sectors of the public in their home countries. Our goal is to
improve science awareness and help to develop informed opinions and
enhance the transferable skills of researchers and practitioners.
Experts, stakeholders, and guest lecturers from high level national
and international institutes and organisations will contribute
knowledge and insights to the Summer School programme which will
comprise lectures, various discussion formats, and interactive group
work activities.

Thus, the Potsdam Summer School provides a unique opportunity for all
participants to foster international cooperation and an
interdisciplinary exchange of ideas. In partnership with Geo.X and the
City of Potsdam, the 2022 Potsdam Summer School will be jointly
organised by the Alfred Wegener Institute, Helmholtz Centre for Polar
and Marine Research (AWI), the Helmholtz-Centre Potsdam – GFZ German
Research Centre for Geosciences, the Institute for Advanced
Sustainability Studies (IASS), the Potsdam Institute for Climate
Impact Research (PIK), and the University of Potsdam.

The call for applications has started on February 1, 2022.

The organisers intend to conduct the 10-day programme in a format
whereby all participants and speakers will be present in Potsdam. The
entire programme will be conducted in English.

Should it be the case that the overall situation regarding the current
pandemic precludes in-person attendance the organisers will revert to
a virtual format.

The organisers are looking forward to receiving applications from
young professionals from various backgrounds.

The deadline for submitting completed applications is on Saturday
April 30, 2022 at 23:59 UTC.

For further information, please contact
angela.borowski(at)iass-potsdam.de

https://potsdam-summer-school.org/