[rohrpost] TODAY: The value of ambiguity. Data, Proxies and the limits of the computable, 19:00 (online)

Felix Stalder felix at openflows.com
Di Mär 22 09:10:16 CET 2022

I'm very happy to announce!

19:00-20:30 CET
via YouTube Stream
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8oMnYDyFcJA64MuwoPwEaQ

#latentspaces

The value of ambiguity. Data, Proxies and the limits of the computable

with Mireille Hildebrandt & Wendy Hui Kyong Chun, moderated by Felix Stalder

Mireille Hildebrandt: The politics of ambiguity and the issue of proxies

In my talk, I will argue that what matters is not computable. However,
it can be made computable, and in different ways. This difference in
turn matters, it makes a difference for those who will suffer or enjoy
the consequences. To make things computable developers need proxies, as
computing systems cannot deal with the ambiguity of the languages we
live in. Decisions on disambiguation and the choice of proxies have
far-reaching implications, There is a politics in these design decisions
that requires our keen attention. This is where transparency and
agonistic debate are pertinent.

Mireille Hildebrandt is a lawyer and philosopher who works at the
intersection of law and computer science. She is the Research Professor
at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel[1] and at Radboud University Nijmegen.
She is also the principal investigator of the 'Counting as a Human Being
in the Era of Computational Law' project (2019–2024). The research
targets two forms of computational law: machine learning and blockchain
technology.

Among her many publications, the most relevant for this series is:

Hildebrandt, Mireille. 2019. “Privacy as Protection of the Incomputable
Self: From Agnostic to Agonistic Machine Learning.” Theoretical
Inquiries in Law 20 (1): 83–121.

Extended response by Wendy Hui Kyong Chun.

Wendy Hui Kyong Chun is Research Chair in New Media at Simon Fraser
University, Vancouver. Since its launch in 2019, she leads the Digital
Democracies Institute which aims to integrate research in the humanities
and data sciences to address questions of equality and social justice in
order to combat the proliferation of online “echo chambers,” abusive
language, discriminatory algorithms, and mis/disinformation by fostering
critical and creative user practices and alternative paradigms for
connection.

Among her many publications, the most relevant for this series is

Chun, Wendy Hui Kyong. 2021. Discriminating Data: Correlation,
Neighborhoods, and the New Politics of Recognition. Cambridge,
Massachusetts: The MIT Press. (in particular, the section on "proxies").

This is the first event of a three-part series of talks and workshops
that explore ambiguity and data.

--
| |||||||||||||||| http://felix.openflows.com |
| for secure communication, please use signal |