[rohrpost] Screening: The Feeling of Being Watched by Assia Boundaoui, May 5, 7:30pm

Carsten Stabenow carsten at garage-g.de
Sa Apr 29 18:06:29 CEST 2023

dear list,
sorry for beeing maybe too cryptic.

but for those who might not have heard about this - there is a big media art show running in leipzig at this moment - https://www.dimensions-digital-art.de/
50 artists, some iconic works i was looking forward seeing again until i learned, that the main sponsor of this show is PALANTIR - one of the most frightening big data companies in the world.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palantir_Technologies

for me it’s kind of alarming, that nobody really seems to care that weapon industry (and thats what it is) is funding art shows. did the artists know beforehand?
there was some press (see below) but it seems there is no real discussion. (at least i’m not aware of.)

Palentir sponsert Schau zur digitalen Kunst  (faz 21.4.23)
https://www.faz.net/aktuell/feuilleton/kunst-und-architektur/walter-smerling-eroeffnet-digitalschau-dimensions-18835926.html?GEPC=s30

Liebe Kunst, erlöse uns (zeit 21.4.23)
https://www.zeit.de/2023/17/ausstellung-dimensions-leipzig-palantir-sponsor

Der Untergang der Kunst (Kreuzer 22.4.23)
https://kreuzer-leipzig.de/2023/04/22/der-untergang-der-kunst

Walter Smerling plant neue Ausstellung (süddeutsche 1.3.23)
https://www.sueddeutsche.de/kultur/walter-smerling-leipzig-digitalkunst-palantir-1.5760664

Daten als neue Munition (taz 9.3.23)
https://taz.de/Ukraine-nutzt-KI-von-Palantir/!5917538&s=palantir/

How the algorithm tipped the balance in Ukraine (washington post 19.12.22)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/12/19/palantir-algorithm-data-ukraine-war/

Palantir wirbt mit KI-Plattform zur Kriegsführung (heise 28.4.23)
https://www.heise.de/news/Palantir-wirbt-mit-KI-Plattform-zur-Kriegsfuehrung-8981871.html

have a nice weekend, c.