[spectre] DEEP EUROPE AND DISPLACED IDENTITIES

tamar s tmr_s@netvision.net.il
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 16:30:57 +0200

 DEEP EUROPE AND DISPLACED IDENTITIES
 A silent voice comes to life triggered by the deep Europe concepts t=
comment about its identity.  I speak from an immigrant country, my an=
cestors
came from Poland, I have friends whose origins are from all over the =
globe.
I leave in a mixed village by the sea where Moslems, Christians and J=
ews
leave together. 15 minutes from Tel-Aviv, Israel. The Muasine =96 Mus=
lim
narrator, prays 5 times a day, this sound is overwhelming and punctua=
tes the
days.

I cook Arab food with recipes I get from a woman I know at the local =
market,
mixed with Eastern European recipes I have from home. The language of=
 my
trade is English, my syntax is weird, but my sense of poetry comes fr=
om the
bible, which is written in my mother tongue.

 Life hazards, due to local terrorism attacks, is being reported dail=
y on
tv, Our sense of a safe geographic map had shrunken during the last y=
ear,
but my real window is window's nt. The internet had always served as =
strong displacement tool, through which my displaced identity found f=
ellow
voices that shared and enhanced my new media enthusiasm.

 Internet communities like real life communities are always trying to=
 define
an `other`, a bad guy, in order to map their boundaries. I find the l=
ost of
boundaries thrilling. My web sites design, net.art projects and inter=
active
installations I dream up, trying hard to realize in a place where the
infrastructure for such a venture is scarce, are all strengthened by =
info
bubbles the travel through my mailbox, for I'm an artist who found th=
virtual reflections a hell of a place to be.

 Tamar Schori