[spectre] THE THEMERSONS AND THE REMAKE OF PHARMACY BY BRUCE CHECEFSKY

geert lovink geert@desk.nl
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 10:04:43 +1100

THE THEMERSONS AND THE REMAKE OF PHARMACY BY BRUCE CHECEFSKY

December 4th, 2001 7PM

Location One
26 Greene Street NYC 10013, Between Grand and Canal
Subway: Canal Street (N, R, 6, A, C, E, J, M, Z)
Gallery Hours: Tuesday - Saturday, 12 - 6 PM
(212) 334-3347
Streamed live at www.location1.org

To see our invite go to:
http://www.location1.org/artists/images/checefsky_invite.jpg

Location One is pleased to announce Bruce Checefsky's presentation of
the groundbreaking work of experimenal filmmakers Franciszka and Stefan
Themerson. Perhaps the most influential of Polish cutting-edge artists,
the Themersons produced five short films between 1930 and 1937 in Warsaw
that rank among the greatest of European avant-garde: Pharmacy, Europa,
Moment Musical, Short Circuit and The Adventure of a Good Citizen.
Whereas only the last three films survived the war, a remake of Pharmacy
(1930, b/w, silent, 3 minutes) was produced in Budapest in 2001 under
the direction of award winning animator and film writer Laszlo L. Revesz
and Bruce Checefsky.

Bruce Checefsky will present a short contextual history of the photogram
as it relates to the Themersons and show slides of his work followed by
a screening of Pharmacy (2001, b/w, silent, trt 4:40 minutes).

Checefsky explains: "Our remake of Pharmacy is not a reconstruction of
the original but an interpretation based on surviving documents, film
stills, and notes. I wanted to remake Pharmacy because it was an
extremely important film. It is a way of talking about a sort of
stimulant to make the thinkable something as yet untaught. It points to
that strange zone where art and action discover secret and unpredictable
relations with one another. The problem is how to inhabit this condition
and how to continue the underground aesthetics of resistance and extend
it into the problematic borders of and in our view of justice"

Bruce Checefsky is an artist/photographer based in Cleveland. He is
director of the Reinberger Galleries, Cleveland Institute of Art and has
organized and curated numerous exhibitions. His own works have been
presented in solo exhibitions in numerous countries such as Czech
Republic, Germany, Hungary, Japan, The Netherlands, Poland, Ukraine.

The event is organized jointly by Location One and the Polish Cultural
Institute (www.PolishCulture-NYC.org).

Location One (www.location1.org) is a new not-for profit art center,
which fosters the convergence of all types of creative expression. We
maintain a gallery space suitable for every form of performance and
exhibition, and within this space, multimedia net-broadcasting
facilities that allow us to web cast a 24-hour stream of both live and
archived events. Our International Residency Program invites artists
from other countries to experiment with emerging technologies. Location
One is an exploration space for continual creative discovery.