[spectre] issues

Andreas Broeckmann abroeck@transmediale.de
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 11:03:06 +0200

folks,

i'm on the train somewhere between linz and frankfurt/m and have not really
read my mail for three days. so i don't know if important things have gone
on online, but as i am going through last week's inbox i want to respond to
some things that were discussed last week.

i had several discussions about the syndicate/spectre issue and there are a
lot of ideas about what actually happened and why. i am more relaxed about
the whole thing now, given that the frustration about the syndicate list
had been rather high over the last 2 years and a fresh start can actually
help to get things back into focus.

while i agree with geert when he says that something went wrong, i don't
know what the answer is and therefore i don't want to rush to conclusions
about what to do and what not. some of the suggestions (digesting
announcements, web-based forum, etc.) need, in the first place, time and
energy committed to them; i am also not sure whether the strange stream of
consciousness that we can have on an open and mixed list like the syndicate
is not appropriate to a diverse community like this. something that
certainly went wrong for me was the high level of alienation that domintaed
the list in the last months which made it difficult to recognise anything
in its mirror screen.

i agree with a lot what janos wrote (27 Aug 2001 22:28:42) and will leave
the message in the inbox for a more considered response, later. sorry.

maybe some more directional instructions are going to come out of the
meeting that is happening in linz today - there might even be reports from
that before this message actually hits the list.

i would really like to see some slow reconstruction happening now, and then
a gradual opening up of the list. inke and i have not yet written a message
to the syndicate - i hope i can draft something by the weekend, but i'm not
sure.

i'm sending an updated suggestion for the info-file which reflects most
comments that were made. i think we can work with this, for the moment.
agree?

regards,
-a