[spectre] terror in NYC

Julie bluedahlias@mindspring.com
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 13:11:17 -0700

Downtown San Francisco, so far away from the destruction, is totally shut
down. All govt and public buildings, and major businesses including the
TransAmerica Pyramid are evacuated, elementary schools are closed,
attendances at some universities is optional, just got word that mine is
closed. People going to work this morning were met with closed down office
buildings. Those who had cell phones were calling everyone they know. So
far, public transportation here is running, and our bridges are still open
to traffic. In my (poorer) neighborhood, it's business as usual. Banks are
open throughout the country.

There was also a plane crash, in the woods near Pittsburgh, sw
Pennsylvania. A passenger made an emergency call from the bathroom of that
plane before it crashed, and reported that it had been hijacked. 356
passengers in the planes were killed. Two of the planes that crashed were
American Airlines flights. Just heard from NPR that all other flights over
the US have been accounted for, no unaccounted-for planes still in the sky.
Earlier, some planes were reported to have been chased by military planes.
All regular international flights into the United States have been diverted
to Canada. All flights have been cancelled until at least noon tomorrow,
all airports closed.

Reports that a car-bomb went off next to the State Dept in DC are now said
to have been false.

Rumor has it that Colin Powell was in Peru, and is on his way back to DC.

Mayor Giuliani, of New York, said "It was the most horrific scene I've ever
seen in my life..." He was trapped in a building for 15 minutes, when the
first Trade Center tower collapsed as he was attempting to assess the
damage.

209 people are in St. Vincents, a nearby hospital, 18 critical, 3 have
died. None of them were actually in the Trade Center building, most were on
the streets outside. City buses, ambulances, police cars from all over the
area are lined up, ferrying in the injured from the Trade Center area.
50,000 people work in the World Trade Center, and thousands visit every day.

500 people were lined up in front of the hospital to give blood, they were
moved to another facility because of the crowds. For those who can, giving
blood would be a contribution to the relief effort.

3 weeks ago, Bin Laden said that he would attack the US for support of
Israel. There were some other warnings as well. Tomorrow in Manhatten, one
of Bin Laden's men was scheduled to be sentenced for a previous terrorist
attack on a US Embassy.

Heads of the govt. here, including the Security Council, are in secured
facilities. A govt spokesperson has just assured the country that the govt
is fully operational.

In live reports from the Trade Center, reporters couldn't believe that the
buildings actually collapsed. Americans are glued to the horrific news
reports, listening and watching in shock. It's impossible to turn off - yet
we're all frozen in a state of disbelief.

TV news anchor Peter Jennings apparantly unleashed a racist tirade this
morning. NPR has a less extremist response, saying that these are fringe,
terrorist groups, not to be confused with Islam overall.

President Bush is in Nebraska, about to convene a teleconference with his
top advisors. George Bush doesn't need drugs, he's naturally slow.

Julie