[spectre] Terrorists intercepted

Julie bluedahlias@mindspring.com
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 07:27:14 -0700

I'm trying to limit my exposure to the news to a few hours per day, as it
is so overwhelming. The mass displays of grief and solidarity from all over
the world, with the ringing of bells, piles of flowers, church services and
the playing of the American National Anthem at Buckingham Palace is
simultaneously comforting and disturbing. It brings home the magnitute of
these events and seems a brief pause before what may be a new period of
international violence, rising state control and racism, and instablility
in the economy. I fear for our civil liberties.

It was very disturbing to hear, early this morning, that two other groups
of terrorists were intercepted on flights due to take off from La Guardia
and JFK airports around NYC. Both airports were again closed.

Our determination in the United States to display our strength during this
difficult time by continuing Business as Usual points to economic heart of
these struggles.

Well, I must sign off to get ready for my day job...
Julie