[spectre] Orchestral Maneouvers in the Dark vs The Slits.

Lachlan Brown lachlan@london.com
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 05:02:52 +0000

>> I think I know a little more about Joy Division than you do AvS
-That must be a comforting thought...

-AvS

Well trainspotting Dutch net.art kraftwerk electro avater Dalek chappie, genealogically speaking you are in direct descent of the now extinct Orchestral Maneouvers in the Dark
strain of mimetic viral infection. You should have seen their first gigs. Fun. Fun. Fun.
What makes me cheerful is that we have been there, enjoyed Nihilist Existential Angst while still in puberty and unlike some of you lot we emerged from that difficult biological and cultural transformation shagging. I mean, net.art is sexually repressed nonsense in the
main. Totally retro. Totally played out. Ethno-european nostalgia. Poseuer posturing. A
denial by the boys of what the girls are doing. Hardly the insight into the locations
of production, networks of distribution, contexts of reception of digital culture
in a world network we expected of our internet.worked arists.

Of course The Slits (my favourite band) had the definitive say on 'fun' in their
Protean-eco-feminist 'Earthbeat'.

Lachlan

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup