[spectre] new net art projects on Tate's website

honor honor@va.com.au
Mon, 01 Jul 2002 13:59:31 +0100

Dear Friends/Spectres,

This evening two new net art projects by Heath Bunting and Susan Collins
are launching on Tate's website: <http://www.tate.org.uk/netart/>.

We're holding a small celebration this evening, and the site officially
launches to the public tomorrow.

* Heath's project, 'BorderXings Guide'
<http://www.tate.org.uk/netart/borderxingguide.htm>, primarily consists of
documentation of walks that traverse national boundaries, without
interruption from customs, immigration, or border police. The work comments
on the way in which movement between borders is restricted by governments
and associated bureaucracies.
The website is not available to everyone who has an internet connection.
People wishing to view the website must physically travel to one of the
listed designated locations, or apply to become an authorised client
themselves. The project intends a reversal of the way that borders restrict
movement and challenge the supposed liberties that accompany the concept of
the Internet as a borderless space.

* Susan Collin's work, 'Tate in Space'
<http://www.tate.org.uk/space/default.htm> tracks the developments of
Tate's new museum in orbit, documenting the architectural processes
involved in the construction of the museum, and the launch of the Tate
Satellite. The site explores ways in which Tate in Space will extend
visitor experience and engage new audiences. Tate in Space will act as an
arena for debate and reflection on the nature of art in space, raising
questions about cultural and institutional ambition and the very human
desires to observe and communicate.

Texts written by Josephine Berry, Florian Schneider and Paul Bonaventure
contextualise the pieces.

Please take a look.
We'd love to hear your comments and feedback.

Best wishes

Honor Harger

<honor@va.com.au>           <http://www.radioqualia.net>
+44 (0)20 76841859