[spectre] Desktop Icons @ Folly

Taylor Nuttall taylor@folly.co.uk
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 11:52:41 +0100

 Desktop Icons is an exciting collection of short digital films and videos
by Scottish and international artists, exploring the cross over of popular
culture, media and new creative technologies.

The computer 'desktop' culture is often over-hyped as the mantra for the new
century. It informs our present lifestyle choices, the way we create and
consume today. Desktop Icons aims to de-construct and expose the desktop
metaphor and its iconography - still considered the main element of the
human-machine interface or a window to the digital world. Desktop Icons also
borrows references from the world of popular infotainment. This is the brave
new world where the new screen icons are promised their 15 Megabytes of
fame. Seduced and manipulated by the new communication technologies, we are
all promised a glimpse if not a slice of this world.

Artists include Chris Cunningham (England), Kristin Lucas (USA), Michael
Maziere (England), Matt Hulse (Scotland), Phil Collins (N.Ireland), Mark
Wallace (Scotland), Richard Fenwick (England), Beagles and Ramsay
(Scotland), Linda Wallace (Australia), Mike Stubbs (Scotland), COM&COM
(Switzerland), Simon Ellis (England), Torsten Lauschmann (Scotland) and many
others from South Korea, Croatia, Austria, Germany, Belgium, France, Japan
and Sweden.

Folly will present Desktop Icons screenings over 3 days: 4th, 5th and 6th
July

@ Folly, 26 Castle Park, Lancaster, UK (www.folly.co.uk)

Please book evening screenings in advance: info@folly.co.uk / (01524) 388550
Evening Screenings:
Thursday 4th July / 7 - 9pm / Desktop Icons 1.0
£4 entry / includes refreshments
Friday 5th July /  7 - 9pm / Desktop Icons 2.0
£4 entry / includes refreshments
Day Screenings:
Friday 5th July 11am-5pm / Saturday 6 th July 11am-4pm    £1.50 day pass

Desktop Icons is a New Media Scotland touring programme www.mediascot.org

Taylor Nuttall
Director
Folly