[spectre] I love you, Frankfurt, 23 May 2002

Inke Arns inke@snafu.de
Fri, 10 May 2002 13:38:31 +0200

[Whoever happens to be in Frankfurt that weekend for the opening of Manife=
sta (I will
be, definitely!) - there's another seemingly very interesting exhibition o=
n computer viruses
in the Museum for Applied Arts in Frankfurt. So, one reason more for trave=
lling to
Germany's financial district ;) I hope to see some spectres around! Greeti=
ngs, Inke]

- english below -

I love you - computer_viren_hacker_kultur
Die digitalcraft-Ausstellung zum Thema Computerviren

Am 23. Mai er=F6ffnet digitalcraft im mak.frankfurt mit "I love you" eine =
Ausstellung zum
Thema Computerviren. Dabei werden gleichermassen k=FCnstlerische wie techn=
ologische
und sicherheitsspezifische Aspekte des kontroversen Themas ihren Platz fin=
den. Viren
sollen erfahr- und verstehbar werden, ihrer Mystifizierung und Hysterisier=
ung entgegen
gearbeitet werden. Flankiert wird die Ausstellung von =F6ffentlichen Vortr=
=E4gen und
Symposien sowie einem dokumentierenden Katalog.

LOVE BUG IN FRANKFURT MUSEUM
The damage to national economies caused by the more than 60,000 computer v=
iruses that
have appeared until now cost industry and the government billions. They co=
st us ordinary
folk a lot, too: viruses are nearly as frustrating as Microsoft Word. In t=
he case of the "I
love you" virus, the US research institute Computer Economics estimates th=
e damage at
US $8.75 billion. What are they? Where do they come from? What do viruses =
mean? To
find out, the digitalcraft department of mak.frankfurt, directed by Franzi=
ska Nori, has
produced the first exhibition on viruses in a museum context. The show inc=
ludes the 30-
year-old history of computer viruses and their technical development; an i=
nteractive
database containing several hundred emulated viruses - made harmless; a de=
monstration
of the effects and interesting payloads of selected viruses (payload =3D e=
nd result visible on
the monitor after a virus contamination); visualization of the source code=
 used for virus
programmes; and so on. Says Nori, "particular attention is paid to the aes=
thetic
component of the code creation".

http://www.digitalcraft.org

Inke Arns
http://www.v2.nl/~arns

Out now:

Inke Arns. Netzkulturen. Europaeische Verlagsanstalt, Hamburg, 2002
http://home.snafu.de/inke/Netzkulturen

Inke Arns. Neue Slowenische Kunst (NSK) - eine Analyse ihrer kuenstlerisch=
en Strategien im Kontext der 1980er Jahre in Jugoslawien [NSK - an analysi=
s of their artistic strategies in Yugoslavia in the 1980s]. Regensburg 200=
2. ISBN 961-90851-1-6
http://www.v2.nl/~arns/Texts/NSK/abstract-NSK2002.html