[spectre] Olats News, May 2002

Annick Bureaud annickb@altern.org
Mon, 27 May 2002 12:44:07 +0800

OLATS NEWS 003 - E – 27/05/2002

1 – Pioneers & Pathbreakers : new notice
Josef Svoboda, by Marc Boucher
http://www.olats.org/pionniers/pionniers.shtml

2 – Leonardo/Olats launches a new projetct :
The Cultural Roots of Globalization
http://www.olats.org/setF12.html

********************************
1 - Pioneers & Pathbreakers : new notice
Josef Svoboda, by Marc Boucher
http://www.olats.org/pionniers/pionniers.shtml
Josef Svoboda is one of the key figure of the integration of image
projection onto the stage. One of the most important stage designer of
the 20th Century, he can be described, like Loïe Fuller, as a "sculptor
of light". Trained in interior architecture, he created over 600
scenographies for theater, opera, ballet, in Europe and in the United
States. In his work, always at the state of the art of the available
technologies, mecanics, electricity, electronics, optics, he was looking
for the integration of arts and sciences and the balance between the
fonctionnal and expressive values of scenography. With his team, he
invented tools and methodologies to allow the scenography to free itself
from the limits of the traditional theater venue. Svoboda is
particularly known for his landmark works using images projections in
multimedia installations like those he created for the Universal Expos
of Bruxelles (1958) and Montreal (1967). He believed that such events
allowed to explore new systems on scales that were wider than the
context of classical theatrical representation.
Josef Svoboda passed away in April 2002, we would like to honor his
memory here.

2 - Leonardo/Olats launches a new projetct :
The Cultural Roots of Globalization
http://www.olats.org/setF12.html
Leonardo/Olats is proud to launch its new editorial project "Cultural
Roots of Globalization".
In this project philosophers, scientists and artists are questionning
the ontological significance of Globalization. We especially emphasize
on artists in the technoscientific field which are sensible to poetical
aspects of the phenomena of Globalization.
The project will present bibliographies, key-texts, new unpublished
texts, and in the futur an art-gallery. We will also organize seminars
on specific issues.
The project is under the direction of Julien Knebusch, jknebusch@noos.fr

If you don't want to receive this information, send us a mail at
annickb@altern.org indicating your email address and the indication that
you want to be taken off, and we'll remove you from this list.

Annick Bureaud (annickb@altern.org)
tél/fax : 33/143 20 92 23
mobile : 33 (0)6 86 77 65 76
IDEA online/International Directory of Electronic Arts : http://nunc.com