[spectre] Violence - artists of the week

NewMediaArtProjectNetwork NewMediaArtProjectNetwork" <info@nmartproject.net
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 08:50:13 +0200

A Virtual Memorial www.a-virtual-memorial.org
in collaboration with
Violence Online Festival - www.newmediafest.org
************************************
Artists of the week
Call for entries
************************************

During September
A Virtual Memorial www.a-virtual-memorial.org
is host of Violence Online Festival

These are the
Featured artists of 4th week of September 2002:

Anahi Caceres (Argentina)

John Kannenberg (USA)

Maya Kalogera (Croatia)

SFA192 CLASS of University of Philippines Diliman/Manila (Philippines)

Joy Garnett (USA)

Judson Wright (USA)

Andres Yepes (Colombia)

Jeremy Owen Turner (Canada)

Steve Bradley/Timothy Nohe (USA)

**********************************
Call for entries

'Violence Online Festival'
www.newmediafest.org
in co-operation with 'A Virtual Memorial'
www.a-virtual-memorial.org
is looking for new artists!

Deadlines 2002
27 September
31 October
30 November
31 December

Encouraged by the success of
'Violence Online Festival',
initiated, developed and curated as an independant New Media art project
by Agricola de Cologne, media artist and curator,
on invitation and occasion of Violens Festival Tabor (CZ)(17-31 August
2002),
the project will be continued as an ongoing environment, in order
to be presented on virtual and physical exhibitions and festivals.

In September 2002, Violence Online Festival is featured project
on A Virtual Memorial, www.a-virtual-memorial.org
on occasion of the 1st return of the terrorist attack in USA 2001.

In addition to the base of about 150 artists of 30 countries
Violence Online Festival is looking from now on continuously for
artists reflecting the phenomenon "Violence" by using Old or New Media.

For the new event connected project versions of Violence Online Festival,
artists of all kinds of disciplines are cordially invited
to participate und submit either net based works
or physical art works to be submitted as digital files,
i.e. poems, texts, paintings, videos, documenation, photographs, etc

All kind of artistic approaches and views on the subject are welcome.

*Festival Statement:
'Art and violence both seem to stem from the abstract: that place beyond
logic, the realm of the emotion. When they intersect we are simultaneously
repelled and attracted, frightened and excited. Historically this meeting
has been wrought with complexity, and as cultural violence in every society
increases, we are prevented by paranoia, censorship and ethical demands from
asking, and sometimes even posing, some of the most important questions
violence and art together and separately produce: how is violence
represented, and what or how much of it do we need to resist the cultivation
of fear and the encouragement of dependency? Is violence a tool, a process
or a result? When are artistic portrayals of violence justifiable? As
intellectual exercise, ritual, or spiritual enhancement? For other purposes?
Or are they never justifiable? Is violence in art an action, reaction, or
reflection? '

**The art works can be submitted
a) net based works as URL

b) any other kind of art work as
following digital file typs:

text:.txt, .doc, plain email text
image:.jpg,.gif, .png
sound: mp3
video/animation: .swf (Flash), .dcr (Shockwave), .mov (Quicktime), .avi
(Windows Video), .rm (Real Video)
(no more than 2MB for each submitted work)

**Please fill out this Entry Form, all items are mandatory:

Name of artist
Email
Nationality
URL

Short CV (to be published) not more than 250 words

Title of works
1.
2.
3

year of origin
used media of original work
submitted format of digital work

Authorization:
I agree that my submission in case my work is selected
can be included also in future versions of
Violence Online Festival .

signed...
name
email address

**Please send the form together with the media files to
violence@a-virtual-memorial.org

Only complete filled out submission will be accepted.
An art base will be installed, including all artist's works going seriously
down to the subject of "Violence",
which will form the basis for selecting art works
to be included either temporarily or for permanent in future versions of
Violence Online Festival.

The location of all future versions of "Violence Online Festival" will be
futher
www.newmediafest.org .
As soon as a new project version will be available
the old one will be replaced by the newer one.

In September 2002
A Virtual Memorial - www.a-virtual-memorial.org is host of

Violence Online Festival
www.newmediafest.org

Copyright © 2000-2002 by Agricola de Cologne.
All rights reserved.