[spectre] New!! - Hurray Violence!! page

ViolenceOnlineFestival nc-agricowi at netcologne.de
Mon Apr 7 09:26:14 CEST 2003

Some have a "Splash" page to feature artists' works,
new on Violence Online Festival is its "Hurray Violence!!" page.

"Hurray Violence!!" page will feature periodically a variety of selected
art works from those 400 included in Violence Online Festival.

The first "Hurray Violence!!" page
is featuring
"9.11.01 scapes" by
Jo-Anne Green & Helen Thorington
www.newmediafest.org/violence/startviolencey.htm
Find the work also embedded in the Violence Online Festival environment:
in Violence Magazine.

This is Jo-Anne Green's statement:

"I began Scapes the day the World Trade Center was attacked
and continued to add new pages in the aftermath. My drive to create is
heightened by death and destruction: making art affirms life. I used the
only ‘medium’ available to me: Photoshop. My palette consisted of NASA
images of earth, and photographs of diatoms and Ground Zero. Each Scape
consists of multiple layers: Helen used the layers’ titles, and the
texts that accompanied the NASA images to weave her multilayered
narrative for the Notes; and much as I used found ‘pigments’, Helen used
found sounds to create the rich soundscore for the series.

I have always worked in series’—often in book form—to reflect the
continuum of human experience. In attempting to convey complexity and
recognize the opacity of truth, I choose metaphor. 9.11 Scapes mimics
the book format: each click of the mouse turns a page. It also points to
the limits of a traditional painter working on the Web: she can
manipulate space, but not time. Finally, the “cells” [diatoms] were used
because : they are both ominous and beautiful; they represent life and
death; and their micro structures are echoed on a macro scale in the
World Trade Center towers."

Jo-Anne Green is an artist, and arts administrator,
Helen Thorington is a writer, sound composer, and radio
producer. Both are New York based.

"Hurray Violence!!" page can always be found on
www.newmediafest.org/violence/startviolencey.htm

Enjoy and be violent!!

Violence Online Festival
www.newmediafest.org/violence/