[spectre] DoP Bangalore: Local knowledge: design & innovation

John Thackara john at doorsofperception.com
Wed Aug 27 15:37:20 CEST 2003

For immediate release:
Doors of Perception in Bangalore

Doors of Perception announces a "working party" in Bangalore, India,
on 11 and 12 December, to celebrate its tenth birthday. DoorsEast
2003 is a cluster of events on the theme: "Local knowledge: design
and innovation of tomorrow's services". The main event is a two-day
international encounter - part conference, part open space workshop -
on 11 and 12 December. It will address the question: "how do we
design new services, enabled by ICT, that are based on local
knowledge, and use local content?" DoorsEast features case studiesof
location based information (GIS / GPS), WiFi networks, tools and
methodologies for mapping local knowledge, and other new ways to
design for mobility, geography, and access.

Doors' partners in the event are the Centre for Knowledge Societies
(CKS) and the National Institute of Design, in India; and Interaction
Design Institute Ivrea, and Nokia, in Europe. Presenters and
participants include: grassroots innovators from India and South
Asia; designers of future service scenarios from MediaLab,
Interaction Design Institute Ivrea, and others; Jussi Angesleva, the
winner of Open Doors in 2002; Webby Award winner Marcel van der
Drift; Derrick de Kerckhove, McCluhan Program director; Darlie O
Koshy, Director, National Institute of Design in India; Open Doors
peoples' choice Live|Work, from London; Ezio Manzini, Milan
Polytechnic University; philosopher Patricia de Maertelare;
e-democracy expert Bert Mulder; future services designers from Nokia;
Jogi Panghaal, DoorsEast; Aditya Dev Sood, Center for Knowledge
Societies, Bangalore; Marco Susani, Motorola; and symposiarch John
Thackara, Doors of Perception.

John Thackara commented: "The first major industry, textiles, owed a
great deal to the transfer of knowledge from India. Our focus in
design is now shifting its focus from things, to systems, and there
are many new ways we can learn from South Asian thought".
http://www.doorseast.org/
http://www.doorsofperception.com/