[spectre] [Sarai] Media Art Presentation

dak dak@sarai.net
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 09:52:17 +0100

Dear Friends,

Sarai invites you to

conVerge: where art and science meet

a media art presentation by Amanda McDonald Crowley

on Wednesday January 15, 2003, 5:30 pm

at the Seminar Room, CSDS, 29 Rajpur Road, Delhi 110054

ConVerge, the 2002 Adelaide Biennial of Australia Art, was a project developed
by the Art Gallery of South Australia and the Adelaide Festival 2002. It
explored the nexus between art, science and technology and its creative
expression, and asked "what happens at these points of intersection?"

Many artists currently exploring scientific, technological and cultural
developments of the 21st century are engaged in a critical debate. This is a
discourse fused by complex social issues. These disciplines are often
understood to be at odds with one another, but must engage if we are to
realise our future and the potential roles of our creative practises within
it.

This project in part responded to the Art Gallery of South Australia's other
concurrent exhibition The Encounter, 1802: Art of the Flinders and Baudin
Voyages which focuses on the paintings, drawings and prints by the artists on
the two scientific voyages.

By bringing together divergent systems of knowledge, conVerge created a vista
into new ways of seeing and understanding the scientific, technological and
cultural developments of our 21 century. We can no longer talk about art and
science or about ecologically sustainable futures without engaging in the
very real possibilities and issues being raised in the realm of biotechnology
and genetic engineering. conVerge asked us to question our role as creative
individuals and collectively as a community, in decision making processes
that will steer our futures.

Amanda McDonald Crowley, Associate Director of the Adelaide Festival 2002 will
present this exhibition and share her experience of working with the artists.

Exhibiting artists include Justine Cooper, Rebecca Cummins, Jason Hampton,
Adam Donovan, Nigel Helyer, Joyce Hinterding, Ionat Zurr and Oron Catts,
Mangkaja Arts, Martin Walch, Patricia Piccinini, Lynne Sanderson, Jon
McCormack, Fiona Hall and Mari Velonaki.

Amanda McDonald Crowley is a freelance cultural worker, facilitator,
researcher, curator from Australia. She is currently artsworker in residence,
at Sarai with support from Asialink.

Cheers,
Ranita
The Sarai Programme
Centre for the Study of Developing Societies
29 Rajpur Road, Delhi 110 054
Tel:  (+91) 11 23960040
        (+91) 11 23951190
Fax: (+91) 11 23943450