[spectre] Call for papers Deep Focus film quarterly

bfs bfs at bgl.vsnl.net.in
Sun Jun 22 19:28:52 CEST 2003

Call for papers Deep Focus

"I think of theory as a practice that changes your life entirely
because it acts on your conscience. Of course, theory becomes a mere
accessory to practice when it speaks from a safe place, while
practice merely illustrates theory when the relationship between the
two remains one of domination-submission and of totalization. I see
theory as a constant questioning of the framing of consciousness-a
practice capable of informing another practice, such as film
production, in a reciprocal challenge. "

-Trinh T. Minh-Ha in an interview with Scott Mc Donald in November 1989. *

Deep Focus a film quarterly, has evolved over the past 20 years as a
serious film journal that recognizes cinema as the most potent form
of expression to emerge in our times. The effort has been to
understand as well as critique our immediate reality, the experience
of the everyday, the existing structures and values by a reading, an
interpretation and an understanding of popular films and films by
cinema's masters.

We invite papers for our 2003 general issue, which we would like to
publish before the International Film Festival of India (October
2003) where it will be displayed and where we meet one another. Our
next issue (slated for Jan-Feb 2004) however, would be a thematic
issue focusing on war crimes, representation of war in cinema in
postmodern times and its re-coloniality. For the general issue we
would like to invite papers:

      i.                    Articles:                 ranging from
3,000-10,000 words

ii.                 Film reviews:       1,000 words +

iii.               Interviews with film directors, film makers

iv.               Reports on film festivals, or seminars on films

v.                  Book Reviews

Language: Deep Focus hopes to employ a language of cinema that is
humanistic in its critique. The mixing of different modes of writing;
the mutual challenge of theoretical and poetical, discursive and
"non-discursive" languages, the strategic use of archetypal imageries
in exposing stereotypical thinking.

Deadline: 15th August 2003.

Perhaps it is evident why we choose Sarai Readers List to issue our
call for papers. We are looking for a space that speaks a language of
cinema that is familiar to our lives. So please send us your papers
to the following:

No. 33/1-9 and 1-10, Thyagaraj Layout, Jai Bharathi Nagar,
Maruthi Sevanagar P.O., Bangalore - 560 033.

Ph: 5492774, 549277

E-mail: <mailto:bfs at bgl.vsnl.net.in%C2%A0>bfs at bgl.vsnl.net.in

*Framer Framed (1992) Trinh T. Minh-Ha; Routledge:New York and London

Regards

Shireen

Deep Focus/Bangalore Film Society