[spectre] Walker Art closes Media dept. and sacks Steve Dietz

Karoly Toth are at xs4all.nl
Mon May 12 20:00:53 CEST 2003

dear andreas,

it will be a BIG DIG IN & FIGHT

it is too bad with walker art.
it is a sign on the wall.
it is happening all over the new media landscape right now,
or will happen in the near future. here in rotterdam there are budget cuts
for
new media art places, and more independent projects in general.
elsewhere as well.

maybe it is just my traditional hungarian (TM)(R)(C) pessimismo :)

paradox, but i felt always uneasiness from the side of the traditional
modernismo's towards
new media. already from the very beginning (early 90's). it is obviously a
bridge too far
for the old mindset. when i approached ('93-95) leading (modernist)artists
and told them, so, this is the internet, and they have won
the cultural battle. and finally they can rest, and enjoy themselves, and
what a relief, is it?  they got scarry. many of them has
actively sabotaged new madia initiatives, and still do.

we also can not forget what musea are. originally, this institution, The
Museum, was supposed to  show the loot
from the colonized/occupied territories in the first place. it has always
been a place for manifestation of materialisme and greed.
its function may have changed but the concept has remained basically
unchanged.

the new generation of artists, especially those affiliated closely with
digitalismo, were highly fascinated by the immaterial aspect of the
(then)new temptation, the internet. i am one of them and i still love it.
this was/is still a big challenge for people who where educated in the drill
of such old cultural concepts as the 'cultural studies', or anthropology,
p*ss*ng in the bed (freudismo), coal&steel&oil & so on.
they (up to post modernismo) challenged materialisme, but choose always
military or traditional kind tactics. it is not easy to accept that you (or
anybody) buy a cheep machine, and just hook it up, and you can be in the
middle of any high level cultural/social activity, without the mediation and
filter of the traditional institutions, strongholds of knowledge, like
academia, religious, corporate and political bodies.

greetings karoly

zeroglab nanofestival
károly tóth
nanofestival at xs4all.nl
www.xs4all.nl/~are
Zeroglab is an independent art-lab
based in Rotterdam.
The lab is in an evolving process of
exchange with initiatives of individuals
and institutions, based on mutual sympathy.