[spectre] New work & reviews on Furtherfield

furtherfield info at furtherfield.org
Mon Sep 29 14:44:26 CEST 2003

New work & reviews on Furtherfield
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.furtherfield.org Home page (all can be accessed via front page).
http://www.furtherfield.org/furthercritic.php FurtherCritic page.

Couples - Ivan Pope.

Ivan Pope's latest work and project 'Couples' crawls into one's psyche, as
he manages to unearth a seemingly timeless activity that in the contemporary
world functions as a networking activity between millions of people all over
the world. We are all now probably accustomed to the idea that it occurs on
the Internet and that there are swingers regularly contacting each other and
arranging liaisons through it. Instead of concentrating on such subterranean
mutuality and its pursuits on a digital medium like the Internet Ivan has
chosen to collect his information from a magazine such as 'Matchmaker'.
Reviewed by Marc Garrett.
http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?From=Index&review_id=48

An email interview via with Joy Garnett creator of 'The Bomb Project'. By
Ryan Griffis.

"In the spring of 2000 I registered the domain thebombproject.org and
launched a preliminary version of the site. At that stage it served as
little more than a storage solution. I redesigned and relaunched it
definitively in August 2002 and I've been continuously adding links and
making improvements ever since."
http://www.furtherfield.org/furthercriticreview.php?review_id=10

Archiving the Bomb.

One of the more interesting investigations into the ongoing histories of
"The Bomb" is Joy Garnett's aptly titled "The Bomb Project." Working as a
dense accumulation of linked images, statistics and narratives, "The Bomb
Project" compliments Garnett's other artistic works (featured on the First
Pulse Projects website) that delve into the intersection between science,
technology, communication and war. Garnett's works, like the "Trinity
Suite," a digitally animated sequence of the artist's paintings of the first
atomic explosive tests, and "Get Your Agit-Prop On," a recontextualization
of psy-op flyers used by the NATO in Kosovo, are part of a larger,
continuing global text that "The Bomb Project" re-presents as a partial
archive. Reviewed by Furtherfield's Resident Critic Ryan Griffis.
http://www.furtherfield.org/furthercriticreview.php?review_id=11

Superheroes of Humanities - August Highland.

One of August's more recent explorative and playful maneuvers is a sideways
step from his more usual all out Internet infiltrations. This time he
collaborates with William Shakespeare. 'Sonnets by the Superheroes of
Humanities' is a net-based, single page object featuring the voice of the
late Sir John Gielgud, which is the beginning of an ongoing project to
create work out of all of Shakespeare's sonnets. Reviewed by Marc Garrett.
http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?From=Index&review_id=49

Furtherfield is an online platform for the creation, promotion, criticism
and archiving of adventurous digital/net art work for public viewing,
experience and interaction.

Furtherfield creates imaginative strategies that actively communicate ideas
and issues in a range of digital & terrestrial media contexts; featuring
works online and organising global, contributory projects, simultaneously on
the Internet, the streets and public venues. Furtherfield focuses on network
related projects that explore new social contexts that transcend the
digital, or offer a subjective voice that communicates beyond the medium.
Furtherfield collaborates with artists, programmers, writers, activists,
musicians and thinkers who explore beyond traditional remits.

(If you no longer wish to be on our mailing list or for some reason have
been mysteriously added to our list without your permission, please simply
add unsubscribe in the subject header & we will gladly extricate you from
our database)