[spectre] Call for applications: IAMAS Artist-in-Residence program
miki at iamas.ac.jp
Fri Dec 10 07:41:12 CET 2004
Call for applications
IAMAS: Artist-in-Residence Invitation Program
----- deadline: 31th December 2004 -----
The Institute of Advanced Media Arts and Sciences and the International
Academy of Media Arts and Sciences (IAMAS) conducts an
Artists-in-Residence invitational program to support new and creative
activities wherein scientific knowledge and artistic sensibility are
aesthetically combined. The outline of the invitational program is as
1. Term of Invitation and Number of Invitees
Term: 1st April 2005 - 30th September 2005
2. Application Requirements
1) The applicant should be either an artist or researcher with an
excellent track record as a professional in the field of media art.
2) The applicant should be able to speak either Japanese or English to
the extent of being able to get by comfortably during his/her stay in
3) The applicant should be in good health.
3. How to Apply
Applicants are required to submit the documents listed below in either
Japanese or English. Please be aware that application materials, once
submitted, shall not be returned.
You can download the Application Forms from
1) Artist-in-Residence Program Application Form (Form A)
2) Curriculum Vitae and Record of Activities (Form B)
3) Creative Activity Planned During Stay (Form C)
4) Letter of Reference (from an authoritative person or society in your
* Please type 1) to 4) on a computer.
5) Portfolio on your major works
* You are free to submit software and recorded media as part of your
portfolio. In the event you submit software, please make sure that it
can run in popular operating systems and that you specify the operating
system needed). It is not possible to apply by only showing your works
with the link to your webpage.
a. 2 photos (40mm x 30mm) * The photos must be taken within the last
six months. No hats, no backgrounds.
b. Certified copy of your diploma (please provide a translation into
Japanese or English)
c. Photocopy of passport
Please submit the above documents to:
* It is not possible to apply on-line and we do not accept applicants
3-95 Ryoke-cho, Ogaki-shi, Gifu, 503-0014, Japan
4. Application Deadline
Your application forms must reach IAMAS by 31th December 2004.
5. Screening Process
The Artist-in-Residence Screening Committee, consisting of IAMAS
teaching staff, will strictly screen all applicants. The Committee may
interview applicants in person and/or by telephone.
6. Notification of Screening Results
IAMAS will notify applicants of the screening results by around
7. Support Provided by IAMAS
1) Facilities and Equipment
Facilities designated by IAMAS and equipment set up in the said
2) Economic Support
One roundtrip ticket will be provided.
Living expenses incurred while working on the program.
IAMAS will rent an apartment for the Artists-in-Residence.
However, the artists are asked to pay part of the rent.
8. What is Expected of the Artists-in-Residence
1) To create and exhibit/release one work by the end of his/her stay.
2) To actively mix with IAMAS students and instructors by, for example,
working in collaboration with them on their projects.
3) Artists-in-Residence are sometimes asked to participate in workshops
geared for local residents and students.
4) The documentations of the produced work need to be submitted to
IAMAS. These documents can consist of video, picture, text, etc. The
artists give IAMAS the right to use these documents for IAMAS
promotional purposes without prior consent of the artist.
9. Copyrights of the Works
The copyright of the works that Artists-in-Residence create during
their stay will belong to the artists on condition that:
1) When they exhibit/release such works outside IAMAS, they indicate in
the credits that they created the works at IAMAS.
2) They readily cooperate with IAMAS when IAMAS wants to exhibit their
3) They leave copies of the works (or materials related to the creation
of the works if the works are hard to copy) at IAMAS when their term of
4) The artists agree that IAMAS, at its own discretion, may use, for
the purpose of education, research and publication, the copies of (or
materials related to), and the documentations of its production and its
exhibition that they left in IAMAS.
1) Artists-in-Residence are required to carry accident insurance and
health insurance at their own expense.
2) IAMAS will not pay for the transportation of works and/or equipment
at the time when Artists-in-Residence join and leave the program.
3) An Artist-in-Residence may be accompanied by their spouse, however
they are required to pay all the costs involved.
info at iamas.ac.jp
Center for Media Culture (CMC)
cmc at iamas.ac.jp
Institute of Advanced Media Arts and Sciences
International Academy of Media Arts and Sciences
3-95 Ryoke-cho, Ogaki-shi, Gifu 503-0014, Japan
More information about the SPECTRE