[spectre] Digital Art Ontology - Collaborative Knowledge Building

Andreas Broeckmann abroeck at transmediale.de
Sat Jan 24 14:28:54 CET 2004

DAO: Digital Art Ontology Project
http://dao.cim3.net

An Invitation to Collaborative Knowledge Building  (Please Distribute)

This is a call for collaboration in the design of a standard (in the
dynamic sense of the word) digital art ontology. If you are
interested in issues of how concepts in media art intermap with
neighbor or upper structured knowledge domains, then please
contribute your expertise toward what is intended to be a (re)useable
knowledge base resource for our community.  Knowledge domain experts
must contribute toward knowledge organization efforts (digital
libraries, semantic web, concept representation and navigation) in
their field. Now is the time; it's either specify or be specified.

DAO is an open ontology initiative. We plan to focus both on the
methods for online collaborative ontology building, as well as our
content goal - the creation, maintenance and extension of an online
dynamic media arts knowledge base.  The DAO project is to be a
resource for the standard upper (SUO) and middle ontology efforts
that are underway. Knowledge domain specification is an extremely
challenging undertaking, especially in such an encompassing and
dynamic field as digital media arts. Thus, we are seeking varied
perspectives, multiple levels of participation (obsessed ontologists,
lucid lurkers, devout developers), multi-lingual vocabularies (how do
you translate technoetic into Chinese), and interdisciplinary talents
(computer music/literature/art, acoustics/optics/dsp, theoretical,
semiotic, ontological, eye/ear, consciousness, cybernetics, etc.).

When you visit our portal at http://dao.cim3.net, you have the option
of going to the wiki or the the dao-forum listserv (subscribe), both
of which await your involvement - we're just beginning.

Hope to hear from you.

Principle Inquirist :
Dr. Kenneth Fields
Professor Media Arts/Computer Music
CEMC - China Center for Electronic Music
Central Conservatory of Music
43 BaoJia Street
XiCheng District
Beijing, China, 100031