[spectre] Message from Michael Joaquin Grey, Leonardo Board member

Melinda Klayman mklayman at leonardo.info
Fri May 28 02:54:10 CEST 2004

*apologies for cross-posting*

Dear Leonardo community,

Like me, you are a member of the Leonardo community. I would like to invite
you to join Leonardo/The International Society for the Arts, Science and
Technology as a full member/subscriber at a 20% discount.  For a limited
time we're offering an Associate Membership for only $61.60. Please go to:
http://mitpress.mit.edu/leonardo_isast/membership_discount

Each of us involved in the intersection of art, science, and technology
relies on Leonardo to showcase the most exciting developments in our
multi-disciplinary field, to keep us informed of events in our community, to
provide us with excellent resources through the website and the print
journals, and even to further our own careers by publishing our work in its
prestigious peer-reviewed journals. Leonardo offers so much to our field,
and I hope that you will join me in returning some of that support.

Less than a year ago, I joined the Leonardo/ISAST Governing Board of
Directors. Previously, I had thought about Leonardo as the print journal and
didn't give much thought to all the other Leonardo projects that I enjoy on
a regular basis. Along with Leonardo and Leonardo Music Journal (both of
which are published simultaneously in print and on line), there's the
Leonardo Electronic Almanac, published on line and distributed via email
monthly; Leonardo Reviews of current books and media in our discipline,
published on line monthly; Leonardo On Line, giving access to the Leonardo
Electronic Directory and recent news; the sister organization in France,
Leonardo/OLATS, which has its own Pioneers and Pathbreakers project and
SpaceArts database, as well as a wealth of resources on the web. And those
are just what's happening on line!

Leonardo also publishes the Leonardo Book Series, which includes popular
titles like Lev Manovich's The Language of New Media, Stephen Wilson's
Information Arts, and the brand-new Protocol: How Control Exists after
Decentralization by Alex Galloway. Leonardo has a role in countless events,
including the recent Harvestworks symposium in New York, the upcoming
Bateson colloquium in California, the Workshop on Art, Science and
Spirituality in Melilla, Morocco, later this year; and is a co-sponsor of
the Pacific Rim New Media Summit to be a part of ISEA 2006 in San Jose,
California. Leonardo recognizes outstanding members of our community with
annual awards, sponsors lectures and booksignings, and seeks opportunities
to draw our widely scattered population together. In the past year, Leonardo
has begun implementing a more contemporary look and feel to the journal as
it responds and leads a new generation.  Leonardo's participation is vital
to the spirit of our community.

Despite all that Leonardo offers, I know that many of my colleagues are not
full members. If you are in this category, I urge you to join Leonardo now
at http://mitpress.mit.edu/leonardo_isast/membership_discount. Membership
includes access to all of the benefits I described above, as well as
discounts on various Leonardo promotions.

As a membership society, Leonardo/The International Society for the Arts,
Sciences and Technology relies upon its members to sustain its efforts.
Please give back to the organization that has offered you so much. By
joining Leonardo as an Associate Member, you will make our community
stronger and more dynamic. I hope to count you among my peers of Leonardo
supporters soon.

Best regards,
Michael Joaquin Grey
Member, Governing Board of Directors
Leonardo/ISAST

P.S.  Your new or renewed Associate Membership will contribute toward more
color illustrations within the pages of Leonardo in 2005. Help out by
joining at http://mitpress.mit.edu/leonardo_isast/membership_discount

--
NEW ADDRESS! Please note our new contact information as of May 1, 2004:

Leonardo/ISAST
211 Sutter Street, Suite 800
San Francisco, CA 94108
phone: (415) 391-1110