[spectre] I love you [rev.eng], computer viruses exhibition

Alessandro Ludovico a.ludovico at neural.it
Fri Sep 24 00:11:57 CEST 2004

I love you [rev.eng]
The Aesthetics of Computer Viruses. German Exhibition on International Tour

http://www.digitalcraft.org/iloveyou/

USA - Providence: Brown University - Watson Institute for International Studies
September 10th - October 4th 2004

DENMARK  - Copenhagen: Post & Tele Museum
October 4th - November 14th 2004

Providence (USA) / Copenhagen: The return of "Made in Germany" - "I
love you [rev.eng]" (rev.eng = reverse engineering), the extension of
the successful exhibition in Frankfurt on everything to do with
computer viruses, is going on an international tour. It can be seen
from September 11th to October 4th at the renowned private Brown
University in Providence, Rhode Island, USA, and then from October
7th to November 14th in the Museum for Communication in Copenhagen,
Denmark.

"I love you [rev.eng]" is the first exhibition world-wide dedicated
to the phenomena of computer security and computer viruses. In a
networked society, dealing with computer viruses, worms, or so-called
"blended threats", has become part of everyday digital life.
  "I love you [rev.eng]", conceived and presented by the cultural
organisation digitalcraft.org, takes this up to carry out a
controversial experiment with contemporary culture that goes far
beyond current vehement debates on hacking.

  "I love you [rev.eng]" is divided into four investigative areas -
political, cultural, technical and historical - and focuses on the
controversial positions of security experts and hackers, of net
artists and programmers, of literature experts and code poets. The
exhibition examines: What actually is a computer virus? Who creates
them, and why? What sort of world is hiding behind these everyday
phenomena?

  What can visitors to the "I love you [rev.eng]" exhibition expect?

  - Force computers to crash with "Sasser" or "Suicide"
  - Experience a global virus outbreak in real time via a 3D world
  - View security concepts and methods for preventing global network attacks
  - Witness computer viruses as works of art like "biennale.py" and "The Lovers"
  - See films by hackers on their subculture
  - Learn about programming languages as the material for contemporary poetry
  - Juxtapose experimental literature and code poetry

Through a collaboration with experts at Brown University's Watson
Institute for International Studies and researchers from Symantec -
the market leader in internet security - digitalcraft.org further
delved into the political, economic and social actuality of this
subject. At both locations, the exhibition will be complemented by
symposiums, in the USA with the theme "The Power and Pathology of
Networks".

With this project, the cultural organisation digitalcraft.org based
in Frankfurt, Germany, directed by Franziska Nori, is taking up the
challenge of exploring complex virtual phenomena and presenting them
in a visual way. "I love you [rev.eng]" is the revamped and expanded
version of the initial exhibition which was successfully shown in
June 2002 in the Museum for Applied Art in Frankfurt and in February
2003 at the "transmediale.03" in Berlin.

Further information on all exhibits, the digital version of the
exhibition catalogue and extensive pictorial material can be found on
the project's website or direct from:

Dr. Gabriele Reinartz
  PR and communication
  Phone: +49 (0)171 / 8 34 56 48