[spectre] MUTE article on Pure Data + free software for sound

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Wed Apr 6 21:54:14 CEST 2005

Give It All, Zero For Rules! by Mattin

http://linkme2.net/3s

On the 13-14th of December 2004 Mute hosted a Pure Data workshop in East
London. Musician and PD abuser Mattin gives a breakdown of the themes of
the workshop, surveys some artists and artists groups using PD, and
scrutinises the relationship of free software to 'free', experimental
and improvised music.

Why free software in free music?

Arriving from the position of playing improvised music, I am interested
in trying to question how a musician is supposed to interact with his
instrument; in my case a computer. In other words, what I want to do is
to play the instrument against the grain and to expose the way a
computer constructs you as a user.

In order do this I use various rudimentary tactics such as playing just
the hardrive, bowing the case of the computer or using the plastic box
as a resonance box. I direct my attention towards the things the
computer demands from the user as much as the things it can do for you;
the need for constant attention to the screen, the need to turn the
machine on, etc. For me it is important not to make hierarchies between
the sounds that the materiality of the computer would produce, over the
ones that could be produced with software. Playing this way makes the
computer an electroacoustic device in itself, interrupting the
ideologies behind music software. Improvisation makes implicit a
constant search of making sounds or reusing found sounds always with an
emphasis on that very process in production. What you find, you have to
give a use, and to use this to serve your own needs without having to
change your own approach to music making. As we will see later on, much
of music software does exactly the opposite, that is, allows the
musician to produce easily a genre of music.

The machine that I was hitting was a G3 Powerbook, the same machine that
musicians like Kaffe Mathews, Tujiko Noriko, Merzbow, Pita, Fennesz,
Hiaz (farmersmanual), Zguiniew Karkoski and many more use, or have used,
in the past. At a point in the late nineties it became the new icon of
electronic music. Artiness, coolness, glitchiness and Mac were all in
the same pack. As with rock music, all seemed all to be a matter of
style. The Mac, an icon signifying artistic production could become a
substitution for the lack of performance that usually computer players
offer. Now, there are emerging artists like Jason Forrest who are
showing us the possibility of hyper performance in front of the
computer. His performances do not produce anything new, but instead,
import an image from another genre of music (i.e. disco & rock). The
spectacle keeps making you produce cultural overdose. The more obviously
you give, the more obviously you get recognition.

'I smashed a G4 laptop computer one time.' Jason Forrest (aka Donna Summer)

The destruction of iconic musical hardware feeds into two processes of
myth making, that of both the performer and the commodity-instrument. It
is an intensification of the moment that diverts our attention from the
performance of music production, a diversion elsewhere into the image of
the intense rockstar giving you all possible clichés at once for just
the price of an one-man-computer-band. In staging the brand, does the
performer want to demonstrate the value of the computer? Does it really
matter whether it was a PC or a Mac? Or is it just a case of: 'think
different' pay the same?

Things are developing very fast in the world of free software, and what
in the past would have been a PC running windows can now be a powerful
sound tool running GNU/Linux. The development of software has been
decisive in the way computer music has been developed. A classic
question among computer musicians is, what software do you use? In some
cases there would not be the need to ask, as the sounds would be easily
identifiable with certain software, just the same as a guitar pedal or
an amplifier. Although there were many computer musicians who would just
press the space bar to play a soundfile (and I have nothing against
this), new software would bring the possibility of processing sound in
real time, not just soundfiles but instruments, environment sounds, even
errors (the already mentioned pastiched glitches). This means now that
musicians using computers have more possibilities at their disposal to
improvise in live performances. The computer musician finds herself not
in the studio, but in a situation.

Much music software is still proprietary, made by companies whose
primary concern is to increase their sales. Making the software appear
as close to hardware as possible can momentarily distract the user from
its virtual quality, making him pay for his weightless gear. Regardless
of this commercial relationship, my key question here would be: how does
this software condition the user?

'I used a lot of cracked commercial software for a lot of years when
doing sound and I always got a couple of feelings out of it. One feeling
was that you get these fancy programs with these fancy user interfaces,
but at the end the more they have created this environment that's very
easy for you to use, the more they've actually determined the kind of
work you can make with it. If you look at a program like Ableton Live
which is used by probably about eighty percent of people making sound
and performing out live these days, it seems like. It's good for a very
few things, it's good for working with loops, putting effects on these
loops and sequencing them, but it pushes you in one creative direction,
it pushes you into making a certain kind of music, really it pushes you
towards German techno more than anything else.' Derek Holzer

There is free software available that can do the job of very expensive
proprietary software, like Ardour (a multichannel digital audio
workstation), Jack (audio server), Jackrack (effects), Ladspa (plugins),
Rezound (graphical audio file editor), but for performing live, the most
useful is likely to be PD (aka Pure Data), a 'real-time graphical
programming environment for audio, video, and graphical processing'. PD
gives you the freedom to construct your own instruments and give them
any parameters you want. It can also do much more than that, but you
would have to develop your programming and mathematical skills, as
numbers are extremely important. If you want to get into the theory see
Miller Puckette's Theory and Techniques of Electronic Music.

There have been a lot of interesting new situations developing from
people using free software that question the whole idea of presentation
of a performance. During a tour in USA in 2003, Dion Workman and Julien
Ottavi produced long performances in which they would arrive at the
venue to soundcheck, start playing straight from the soundcheck during
the arrival of the audience and continue for as long as the people from
the venue would let them (sometimes performances lasted six hours). They
played using PD patches programmed with the possibility of doing random
automatisation. Julien Ottavi is part of the Apo 33 collective in
Nantes. They organise many events and workshops that range from teaching
Pure Data, to philosophy, political activism and art but always with a
relation to audio and its social connotations. CIA, an installation that
I have seen by them consisted of many wires attached to computers
running PD. The audience would go into the space, would hit any of these
wires, and this would provoke a reaction in the computers from which
they would start to generate lots of sounds and combinations of sounds.
Thanks to complex mechanisms of automatisms from PD patches the audience
would improvise with the space but not in such a clear way as call and
response.

Openmute organised a Pure Data workshop in London on the 13th and 14th
of Dec. 2004. The workshop was run by Aymeric Mansoux and Derek Holzer.
It was an introduction of how to use PD, along with externals such as
GEM, PDP and PiDiP for a more visual orientation. It introduced briefly
the many and various possibilities that PD offers. The audience was
diverse, coming from the visual arts, as well as music production and
the free software movement. One example of a group combining all three
of these approaches is the recently formed London-based group OpenLab
(see below). The poster advertising the PD workshop had an emphasis on
VJing. This might have been the reason why it was difficult to focus in
on the most interesting aspects of what PD offers from my point of view
(sound production and live performance), but as an introduction this was
helpful.

PD is a program in which lets you do pretty much everything and it is up
to you what direction to take. It is true that at the beginning it is an
intimidating interface to work with, but this kind of introduction helps
you to get a clear picture on how to start your first steps. In free
software as in improvisation the restrictions are not as clearly defined
as in other genres of music or proprietary software in which you are
supposed to follow and obey certain histories, certain codes, certain
legal rights. Free software activates you as a user as you are often
confronted with an immense amount of possibilities. What I am wondering
is whether the new opportunities that free software offers could
represent in the music the same radical effect that they have on the
user, and extend this through its presentation. Free software is helping
to bring into question how the producer wishes to distribute their work.
With the availability of licences from Creative-commons greater than
that of frozen items in Western supermarkets, a question of conflict
emerges: anti-copyright or pro-copyleft?

This text is anti-copyright

Some groups working with Pure Data

OpenLab

This project provides a meeting place for London based artists who use
and develop open source software as their creative tool. As a result,
the project will attempt to organize performances, events, meetings in
London for the participants to share and exchange ideas. Furthermore,
the project will also promote and demonstrate the use of open source
software through the performances/events. OpenLab currently is preparing
its first performance event, which will take place on the 1st of April
at the Foundry. Since the start of OpenLab at the end of 2004, many
members have quickly become friends and meets regularly. OpenLab was
also very happy to take part in the PureData Bigband event in Koln in
February 2005. We hope to have many friends and all share our resources
to make great things happen.

http://www.pawfal.org/openlab/

Goto10

Goto10 has been founded in 2003 by Aymeric Mansoux and Thomas Vriet in
Poitiers, France. At this time the primary goal of this non-profit
organization was to support and produce local live alternative
electronic music events. It was a gamble to see if there was an audience
for such events in Poitiers. It turned out that not only was there a
large enough audience, they were asking for more. Thus oto10 quickly
started to setup workshops and exhibitions and started looking for
partners in some of the rare local institutions that try to support
digital art and media hacktivism. Today the goto10 team is formed by
people living in different places around Europe and is part of a network
of similar young non profit organizations sharing the same vision about
free software and arts. While the original structure is still based in
France, and prepares at least one event each month, goto10 is now most
of all a collective name under which highly skilled artists and hackers
work together in numerous places in Europe. You may see them in
workshops, performances, software credits or as producer of unusual
events. The current projects of goto10 rank from linux live cdroms to a
series of connected performances. The new website (online in april) is
meant to provide documentation on alternative free software and
new-media-whatever cookbooks. Last but not least, in June goto10 will
launch gosub, its free media weblabel.

http://www.goto10.org/

Umatic.nl

Umatic.nl is an arts group based in Utrecht, the Netherlands. Derek
Holzer and Sara Kolster represent the Free Open Source Software
area of this group by giving lectures, performances and workshops
involving the use of FOSS tools for audiovisual synthesis. In their
"resonanCITY" performance, Holzer and Kolster employ Pure Data, PDP
and GEM to manipulate field recordings, photographic or video images
and found objects gathered in the various locations where they have
travelled, creating an improvisational audiovisual journey. Both are
also active in educating artists about the importance of free
software, and in developing end-user audiovisual applications within
the Pure Data environment.

http://www.umatic.nl/info_derek.html
http://www.umatic.nl/info_sara.html

Dion Workman: http://www.sigmaeditions.com/sigma_dion workman.html
Julien Ottavi: http://www.sigmaeditions.com/sigma_julien%20ottavi.html
Apo33: http://apo33.org

For a good explanation of PD and the use of free software in music and
sound production:
*Stay Free* Martin Howse http://www.yourmachines.org/stay_free.html

Pure Data Community Site
http://pure-data.iem.at/

Miller Puckette own page Pure Data download
http://crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl
---Oblique Strategy # 92: