[spectre] ICC and for the media art center of 21C

yukiko shikata sica at dasein-design.com
Sun Aug 21 08:48:29 CEST 2005

*shu lea, thank you for pointing out the ICC situation in your
posting on aug. 19.

this is yukiko shikata, currently working as one of the ICC
curators(and paralelly work as an independent curator and in univ).

clearly there is a gap between my ICC frame(to follow the company
logic) and my own identity(based on the media networks and culture)
..here i post from the latter.

--

the ICC situation outline:

on july 19 we curators posted message(in japanese) asking
support and messages on "ICC to continue", but next day
the company's requested us to stop posting.

our message went public already so we expected that the people start
to write, talk and the issue was covered by some media and still go on..
and hope the public attention to the issue would grow internationally.
 (it is not only the matter of ICC but strongly connecting on the future
of global and local media culture, i think..)

---

on ICC and the future media art center:

on shu lea's comment today:
>What's at issue can not be 'media art is finished' being used by local
politicians everywhere. But recognize the corporate funding era
(ibm, at&t, sun, to name a few) is gone and how the public funding
has to be pulled in for its continuity and next era. Take it
positively, the mobile technology has
allowed the roaming residency possible and now, we face the public.

in 90s i worked as a curator of Canon ARTLAB(1990-2001), and i
watched icc from outside for many years..both ICC and ARTLAB
had been suffering the closing crisis for many years..
company-based support is really unstable...it is easy to be terminated
by the change of the top or any other reasons..

but, even the company-sponsored project, what ICC's activities and
documents, collections are "publc domain".
and especially these years, ICC has been introducing more and
more public-accesisible, collaborative projects and activities by
reflecting the current info-geography.

i hope that ICC would continue,  and any possible changes
(i.e., space size, budget) would be reconsidered if there are any
space for discussion with NTT.

and, if the company terminates ICC.., it's collections, archive should be
taken care by another party and be in public access.
also, we surely need the new type of media art center, which will
function as a connecting node between people, information to raise
the media culture and communication.

the new type of  media art center(in general) needs sustainability
and for this, the poly-dependent systemy(supported by companies,
universities, public organizations, and the people who need it) will
be one possible way.

...now is a hard situation.. but i believe the problem we face would
be a good chance for us to head for the media art center of 21C.

yukiko shikata