[spectre] Art & Technology, Johannesburg

Andreas Broeckmann abroeck at transmediale.de
Mon Jan 3 18:15:57 CET 2005

From: "nathaniel stern" <nathaniel at hektor.net>

+ + +

Apologies for cross-posting; it's important stuff, I swear.

http://www.atjoburg.net/

Inspired by a visit to the Dublin Art and Technology Association (DATA),
joburg local digi-artists decided it was time to start a similar
organization  in Johannesburg, South Africa. Community leaders worked
together with WSOA  Digital Arts to launch Art & Technology,  johannesburg
(AT.joburg). With  the similar intentions of promoting, exploring,
discussing, and exhibiting art and (artists  working with) technology in
South Africa and the world, our test-run event featured the  work of DATA
co-founder, Jonah Brucker-Cohen.

AT.joburg, although founded by a Wits lecturer,  has no base. The events,
usually held about once/month, range in space from galleries, to bars,
clubs, studios, and the Wits' digital convent and lab. Our presenters are
musicians, VJs & DJs,  academics, artists, designers, curators,
technologists, poets and dancer/choreographers.

Our aims are to showcase local work, facilitate presentations by visiting
artists, and promote  collaboration and dialogue between talents working in
varying disciplines, backgrounds and media,  at the intersection of Art  &
Technology.

  Any event organizer or artist in the Gauteng  area can contact us  for a
username and password, to blog your events on the site; any person may throw
an AT.joburg affiliated  event - so long as it is in line with our goals,
open to the public, and free! We are actively  recruiting leaders of the Art
& Technology community for participation - both  on and offline.

  We ask you to contribute, and to watch this space  -
http://www.atjoburg.net/  - for upcoming events!

nathaniel
http://nathanielstern.com