[spectre] FWD: Electrohype throws in the towel

zeljko blace zblace at mi2.hr
Thu Jan 20 17:14:07 CET 2005

I would say this just ads to a big pile of similar cases, where small
organisations who have no interest (for different reasons) in growing to
big institutional sizes can locally be ignored very easily and that
cultural capital never measures up to the political one or to the
strategic connections to individuals in governing bodies.
It is always easier for outsiders to recognise size then expertise or
specific aesthetic quality, then to spend time learning about field and
issues they are dealing with.

If there was a way for cultural administrators to see that new media
culture and digital arts can function on different scales we would not
end up today with such a big gap in-between hundreds of small "on the
survival edge" organisations and few huge mostly dormant or at least
inefficient institutions.
One musicologist told me opera took half a century to be established
internationally as art form and with it's curent form and
infrastructural standards... so maybe we should be patient and hope for
best ;-)

Good luck to all of the individuals who worked for Electrohype in their
future work.

Best - Zeljko