[spectre] FWD: Electrohype throws in the towel

Marius Watz marius at unlekker.net
Thu Jan 20 23:06:09 CET 2005

chris,

you and zeljko raise some interesting points.

> The question is thrown back at media arts practitioners and promoters:
> what is so important or essential about what we do that the State
> should fund it?

this is an essential question, and one I find myself constantly
wondering about.

while "art as knowledge production" is a valid activity, it is not a
given that society will or should fund it. hence much of the more
obscure or theoretical media art will find it hard to find backers in
the mainstream culture establishment. I would also question whether art
should be funded just because it is media art.

however, the irony with Electrohype is that their shows have
consistently been successful in engaging a broader audience, with the
latest biennal as a case in point. having had good reviews and high
visitor numbers it should be an activity easily embracable by the
funding bodies exactly because it does reach a broad audience.

for info on the exhibition, see:
http://www.electrohype.org/electrohype2004/index.html

it should be mentioned that as a participant in the show I may be
biased, but the reviews and visitor numbers should speak for themselves.

marius watz
www.unlekker.net