[spectre] MA Media Design Student Opportunities

matthew fuller fuller at xs4all.nl
Tue Jun 7 11:51:41 CEST 2005

MA Media Design Student Opportunities:

The Master of Arts in Media Design is a two-year full-time course
offered by the Piet Zwart Institute.

Systems not surfaces
Too often, media design has simply been the arrangement of pixels and
plug-ins. For us, the computer and the networks are where dynamics
that are aesthetic, social, political, technical, linguistic,
rhythmic, economic and numerical, meet and shape each other. The role
of the designer is to track, sort and remix these dynamics in
relation to others.

Technology, theory, practice
In a working context where software is doing half the thinking and
doing for you, where is the divide between theory, technology and
practice? This course is committed to a fundamental revaluation of
the division between these terms. We will look for and invent the
technology that is in media philosophy; find the conceptuality of an
operating system; and design in a way that synthesises the power of
all three.

Work is carried out as a series of group and self-initiated projects.
A primary focus of the work is the internet, education in these
technologies is a staple part of our work.

Media Design Research
Alongside the MA programme we run a series of unique international
research projects. These bring students in daily contact with leading
designers, artists, and theorists, establishing a special environment
for creative work in networked and computational digital media.

Find more information about projects, staff, facilities, application,
international students, etc. contact: Leslie Robbins
l.j.drost-robbins AT hro.nl

The Piet Zwart Institute is the postgraduate study and research
programme of the Willem de Kooning Academy Hogeschool Rotterdam
http://pzwart.wdka.hro.nl