[spectre] ZKM/symposium/40yearsvideoart.de - Digital Heritage

Irina Koutoudis koutoudis at zkm.de
Fri Jun 17 11:22:25 CEST 2005

ZKM | Zentrum für Kunst und Medientechnologie Karlsruhe
ZKM | Center for Art and Media Karlsruhe
June 2005

Infomail No 13

»40yearsvideoart.de« - Digital Heritage

Symposium

Date: July 1 and 2

Venue: K20 | Kunstsammlung Nordrhein-Westfalen, Grabbeplatz 5
Trinkaus-Auditorium
40213 Düsseldorf

The futility of electronic data carriers such as magnetic tape has
been the topic of a few symposia over time. The ubiquitous nature of
electronic images makes it more urgent than ever to explore, discuss
and analyse ways of preserving and restoring electronic images. The
standards of restoration have been developed over many centuries but
never been applied systematically to electronic images. What happens
to artworks, to memory devices in general, if they become digital?
Can we envision lasting storage devices within the digital realm? The
rapid change of technological platforms certainly contributes to
uncertainties and an unwillingness to tackle all these issues.
That is why, «40yearsvideoart.de – Digital Heritage» wants to further
our understanding of these ongoing processes, to promote the open
discussion of strategies as well as their impact on our notion of
memory and the construction of history. To this end, we will gather
international experts in Düsseldorf for a two-day symposium dedicated
to the theoretical, historical, practical and artistic implications
of the continuous migration of our electronic information.
Speakers include Katharina Ammann (University of Bern), Anita Beckers
(Galerie Beckers, Frankfurt/Main), Christoph Blase (ZKM Karlsruhe),
Hans D. Christ (Württembergischer Kunstverein, Stuttgart), Dieter
Daniels (HGB Leipzig), Barbara Engelbach (Museum Ludwig, Cologne),
Rudolf Frieling (ZKM Karlsruhe), Johannes Gfeller (HKB Bern), Boris
Groys (HfG Karlsruhe), Hans Dieter Huber (Akademie der bildenden
Künste Stuttgart), Dieter Kiessling (artist, Düsseldorf), Caitlin
Jones (Guggenheim Museum, New York), Ulrich Lang (Museum Moderne
Kunst, Frankfurt/Main), Stephen Partridge/Jackie Hatfield (Duncan of
Jordanstone College of Art, Dundee), Walter Plaschzug (HS-Art, Graz),
Bart Rutten (Montevideo, Amsterdam), Sandra Thomas/Alexandra Wessels
(235 Media, Köln), Stephan Urbaschek (Goetz-Sammlung, München),
Heather Weaver (Bay Area Video Coalition, San Francisco), Tina
Weidner/Yvonne Mohr (Tate Modern, London, ZKM Karlsruhe).
(subject to change)

Check for abstracts and programme: www.40jahrevideokunst.de
Simultaneous German – English translation will be available.
Participation in the symposium is free of charge but we welcome
online registration.

This initiative project is financed by the Kulturstiftung des Bundes
(Federal Cultural Foundation) and organized by Center for Art and
Media Karlsruhe (head of project) and the Kunstsammlung Nordrhein-
Westfalen (K21), Dusseldorf (official project carrier) in cooperation
with the partners Kunsthalle Bremen, Lenbachhaus Munich, and Museum
of Fine Arts, Leipzig. Additional funding for the symposium was
provided by the British Council.

For further information see the project Web site or contact:

ZKM Center for Art and Media
Rudolf Frieling – Head of Project
Lorenzstr. 19
D- 76135 Karlsruhe