[spectre] Open Letter from Jem Cohen (on art in the New America)

Andreas Broeckmann abroeck at transmediale.de
Wed Jun 29 17:58:59 CEST 2005

(x-posted from RHIZOME_RARE)

>  Hello. I'm attaching an open letter regarding an incident that took
>  place in
>  January. I was stopped from filming out of a train window and had my
>  film
>  confiscated and turned over to the Joint Terrorism Task Force and the
>  FBI.
>
>  I went to the ACLU, and have been assisted by a lawyer at the NYCLU
>  (New
>  York Civil Liberties Union). I wrote a piece about it and included the
>  attached letter in the last issue of Filmmaker Magazine.
>
>  Recently, the lawyer called to say that the FBI was returning the
>  film, as
>  it had been cleared by the authorities. When I went to pick it up, I
>  found
>  that the original box and reel had been sent back, but the reel was
>  empty,
>  save for a few inches of film. The matter remains unresolved, and for
>  me,
>  deeply disturbing.
>
>  Most of us are inundated with email, and I had mixed feelings about
>  sending
>  yet another mass missive. Please forgive the intrusion.
>  I'm not asking for you to do anything, and that includes write me back.
>  I'm sending this simply because I feel that people should know about
>  such
>  incidents. You are welcome to pass along the attached letter, although
>  would prefer that my email address not be made entirely public.
>  I would be glad to talk to the press about it, although an editor I
>  spoke to
>  at the New York Times suggested that it might not be of interest to the
>  media because such incidents are becoming too commonplace.
>
>  Thank you for having a look.
>
>  Sincerely,
>
>  Jem Cohen
>

>  ----------------
>
>  An open letter to the film and arts community:
>
>  On January 7th, 2005, I was filming from the window of an Amtrak train
>  going
>  from New York to Washington D.C., and my film was confiscated by
>  police, due
>  to supposed national security concerns. At first, I was told by a
>  ticket
>  taker that I couldn't shoot because I was in the 'quiet car,' but when
>  I got
>  ready to move, he said I couldn't shoot at all. I explained that I was
>  filmmaker who'd done this for years, and politely asked to speak with
>  someone else about it. I stopped filming, waited, and asked again, but
>  no
>  one came. When the train stopped in Philadelphia, at least four
>  uniformed
>  officers entered the car and demanded that I step off the train with
>  the
>  camera. They took my personal information and told me to give them the
>  film
> [...]

Rhizome.org is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and an affiliate of
the New Museum of Contemporary Art.

Rhizome Rare is supported by grants from the Rockefeller Foundation, the
Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts, and with public funds from
the New York State Council on the Arts, a state agency.

Rhizome Rare is filtered by Rhizome SuperUsers, a dedicated group of
volunteer editors. To learn more about becoming a Rhizome SuperUser,
please email editor at rhizome.org.