[spectre] REFRESH Conference: Program and Registration

Oliver Grau oliver.grau at culture.hu-berlin.de
Wed May 11 10:36:43 CEST 2005

Open for registration now !

REFRESH!
1st INT. CONFERENCE ON THE HISTORIES OF MEDIA ART, SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
September 28 - October 1, Banff New Media Institute, Canada

www.MediaArtHistory.org

“The technology of the modern media has produced
new possibilities of interaction.
What is needed is a wider view encompassing the coming rewards in the context
of the treasures left us by the past experiences, possessions and insights."

RUDOLF ARNHEIM, Sommer 2000

Honorary Chair, Refresh!

Recognizing the increasing significance of media
art for our culture, the conference on the
Histories of Media Art will discuss for the first
time the history of media art within the
interdisciplinary and intercultural contexts of
the histories of art. Banff New Media Institute,
the Database for Virtual Art, Leonardo/ISAST and
UNESCO DigiArts are collaborating to produce the
first international art history conference
covering art and new media, art and technology,
art-science interaction, and the history of media
as pertinent to contemporary art.

The conference will also discuss the
documentation, collection, archiving and
preservation of media art. What kind of
international networks must be created to advance
appropriate policies for collection and
conservation? What kind of new technologies do we
need to optimize research efforts and information
exchange?

Held at The Banff Centre REFRESH! will feature
lectures by invited speakers as well as others
selected by an international jury from more than
400 papers.

SESSIONS

For further information on the program and the
speakers in each session please go to
www.MediaArtHistory.org.

I.         MediaArtHistories: Times and
Landscapes I (Chairs: O. GRAU and G. NADARAJAN)
             MediaArtHistories: Times and
Landscapes II   (E. SHANKEN and C. GERE)
II.        Methodologies: W.J.T. MITCHELL and tba.
III.      Art as Research / Artists as Inventors: D. DANIELS
IV.      Image Science and 'Representation': From
a Cognitive Point of View: B. STAFFORD
V.        Collaborative Practice/ Networking
(history): R. KLUSZCZYNSKI and D. DOMINGUES
VI.      Pop/Mass/Society: M. KUSAHARA and A. LANGE
VII a. Collecting, preserving and archiving the media arts: J. GAGNON
VII b. Database/New Scientific Tools: R. FRIELING and O. GRAU
VIII.   Cross-Culture - Global Art: S. DIAMOND and M. HSU
IX.      What can the History of New Media Learn
from History of Science? L. HENDERSON
X.        Rejuvenate: Film, sound and music in
media arts history: T. GUNNING and D. KAHN
XI.      High Art/Low Culture - the future of media art sciences? K. BRUNS
XII.    History of Institutions: I. SAKANE and J. REICHARDT
XIII.   tba

REGISTRATION:
For information, on-line conference registration
and accommodation please go to:
http://www.banffcentre.ca/bnmi/events/refresh/registration_form.asp

For questions concerning registration please
contact Luke Heemsbergen:
Luke_Heemsbergen at banffcentre.ca

Conference: September 28 - October 1st
www.banffcentre.ca/bnmi

EXHIBITION
On the occasion of the 10th anniversary of the
Banff New Media Institute and in conjunction with
the conference, Sarah Cook and Steve Dietz will
curate "The Art Formerly Known As New Media", an
exhibition at the Walter Phillips Gallery (Sept.
17 - Oct. 23).

Supported by:
BANFF NEW MEDIA INSTITUTE, DATABASE OF VIRTUAL
ART, LEONARDO, DEUTSCHE FORSCHUNGSGEMEINSCHAFT,
UNESCO DIGIARTS, VILLA VIGONI, INTEL,
GOETHE-INSTITUT, SSHRC, CANADA COUNCIL

CONFERENCE CHAIR:
Prof. Dr. Oliver Grau