[spectre] TRACING UNDERCURRENTS: Sonic Routes Between

Simon Biggs simon at littlepig.org.uk
Sun Oct 9 13:43:27 CEST 2005

Israel (Palestine) also includes a large population of indigenous people -
Palestinians and other groups who have lived in Palestine for generations.
Are we to assume that all Israeli sound artists are happy to be so
represented - defined as Israeli's due to their immigrant status, separate
to those who are indigenous to the region but who, within this definition,
are not Israeli and are thus unable to represent the region (for as
non-Israeli's (as non-immigrants), and in the absence of any other
recognised national identity, they have no identity at all). The explicit
acceptance of Israeli imperialism evident in this statement is breathtaking.

Best

Simon

On 09.10.05 11:00, "spectre-request at mikrolisten.de"
<spectre-request at mikrolisten.de> wrote:

> TRACING UNDERCURRENTS invites you to sample the diversity of the
> Israeli experimental sound scene.
>
>  Israel, being a country of immigrants boasts a culturally rich and
> diverse tradition. However, more often than not these expressions have
> been limited to the more traditional arts.

Simon Biggs
simon at littlepig.org.uk
http://www.littlepig.org.uk/

Professor, Art and Design Research Centre
Sheffield Hallam University, UK
http://www.shu.ac.uk/schools/cs/cri/adrc/research2/