[spectre] TRACING UNDERCURRENTS: Sonic Routes Between

nat muller nat at xs4all.nl
Tue Oct 11 20:16:48 CEST 2005

simon et al,

  i welcome any kind of critique and debate...even regarding PR
announcements, but i have to say that i deplore the *ease* at which
such harsh accusations as *zionist apartheid*, *israeli imperialism*
have been thrown at a music program which after all is not political in
content, and let's face it...all it is trying to do is bring some young
artists from tel-aviv and jerusalem, who do cool things with music and
electronics, to Amsterdam.  it is also part of a series involving
artists from beirut and istanbul (hopefully to be expanded to other
cities if the resources can ever be found). so this is its modest
context, and please let us not forget it.

when i say not political in content, i do not mean that these projects
are depoliticised: any cultural practice, or curatorial act for that
mater is politicised, yet bringing some independent labels/sound
artists over from tel-aviv and jerusalem to perform is very far from
pushing a zionist agenda, or agreeing with israel's politics of
colonisation. i really object to this kind of simplistic reductionism!

simon, whilst i appreciate your position on Israel (and actually agree
to a large extent with you - but this aside), you raise a few
fundamental issues which somehow seem to get lost, since the discussion
spirals into israel's right of existence, and oppressive politics - a
valid debate of course, but is it linked to this project?

these issues are a.o.:
- the *political* responsibility of curator, organisers and artists
when organising programs
- the relationship between aesthetics and political correctness
- the relationship between curatorship and tokenism
- etc...

now, i have worked on various occasions palestinian artists, i have
worked with israeli artists, and i have worked with israeli&palestinan
artists together.  these collaborations have always been spurred by the
type of project and the context the work is shown in, and the merit of
the artists in question. on some occassions it totally made sense to
have israeli and palestinian artists together, and on other occassions
it didn't.  curatorial decisions were made based on their work and the
concept of the project.  this is not to say that i don't recognise the
fact there are very complex and sensitive issues involved in all these
processes.  throughout my work i really try to make an effort to
accommodate these sensitivities and let the artists' voice
speak...knowing that - depending on the actors involved -others will
pigeonhole me as being anti-zionist, or zionist, or feminist, or
anti-feminist, or a technophile or a technophobe or whatever...so be
it.

i abhor tokenism of any kind, just to be politically correct. to me
this is a wrong departure point for critical cultural practice,
especially for projects which from their onset do not pretend to be
inclusive or representative in any manner.  i find it very exhausting
that every time israeli artists are involved in a project the thematic
HAS to relate to the conflict: it just gives a very twisted idea of
what is going on in a cultural scene. nor do i think that every time i
invite an israeli artist, i should invite a palestinian one, just for
the sake of being politically correct.  mind you, many palestinian
artists i know, would refuse that, for obvious reasons.

as for the strategy of cultural boykott: i respect your position, but
personally i have never believed in (cultural) collective punishment.
i remember similar discussions going on about austrian artists in 2000
when haider got elected.  there are many israeli artists - many of them
highly critical of the imperialist regime and with dissenting voices -
whose work deserves to be shown abroad.  and on a more general note,
isolating artists and critics merely because they happen to live in a
country with imperialist politics, does not seem as a productive
strategy for a critical cultural climate.

finally, on a last note... your comment stating because the mere fact
that i invite israeli artists to perform, i have *explicitly accepted
the right of Israel to exist and thus all the imperialist baggage that
goes with it* is absurd.  i vehemently oppose this kind of logic.

respectfully_

nat