[spectre] Tirana Biennale / Episode 4

info at tiranabiennale.net info at tiranabiennale.net
Thu Oct 13 12:49:54 CEST 2005

PRESS RELEASE

BITTERSWEET / (EPISODE 4)

Participating artists: Nathalie Djurberg, Magdalena Dziurlikowska,
Regina JosŽ Galindo, Allen Grubesic, P'l Hollender, Jessica Lagunas,
Ma Liuming, Elahe Massumi, Monica Melin, Agron Mesi, Annee Olofsson,
Mario Rizzi, Joanna Rytel, Erzen Shkololli & Suela Qoshja.

Curated by Joa Ljungberg

14th October ö 10th November 2005

Kompleksi ãGoldiä Tirana

The TIRANABIENNALE3 is built up by 5 episodes, all of which set out
to explore Îtaboos of our timeâ. Whereas the first episode:
TEMPTATIONS (curated by Edi Muka & Gezim Quendro) addressed the
relationship between taboo and the notion of power, and the second
episode: TO LOSE WITHOUT BEING A LOSER (curated by Roberto Pinto)
reflected upon the act of losing as a modern taboo, the third
episode: DEMOCRACIES (curated by Zdenka Badovinac) looked at the
existence of parallel economies and systems. Now it is time for the
fourth episode to open: BITTERSWEET (curated by Joa Ljungberg) which
will address subject matters surrounded by a number of taboos in most
cultures, by exploring the relationship between love, sexuality and
power.

ÎWhy make an exhibition focusing on love and sexuality in
relationship to power? Well one important reason is that, throughout
our contemporary world, societies are still dominated by men. This
condition has consequences not only on how women are valued, treated
and to what extent a democratic country can really be said to be
democratic. It also effects how men and women live together, love one
another and have sex with each other. Bittersweet presents works by
15 artists, some of which investigate established norms for love and
sexuality: how those are formed; what expectations, needs and
behaviours they generate; and how they function as to perpetually
re-establish socio-sexual structures with inherent power mechanisms.
Some artists discuss consequences of

male honour residing in the sexual purity of women, whereas others
explore sexually luring advertising and its subliminal play on our
human desires. There are also artists addressing acute relationships
between sexuality and economical power, by dealing with phenomenas
such as trafficking, prostitution and sex tourism, as well as artists
discussing what sexual assault really entails ö that it is about
power, and so concerns everyone in our society.â

The fifth and final episode of the Tirana Biennale3: GO INSIDE
(curated by Hou Hanru) will open on the 28th of October. At this date
we will also invite you to celebrate that the Tirana biennale 3 has
been completed.

PROGRAM

EPISODE 1 [TEMPTATIONS]

Edited by: Edi Muka, G‘zim Q‘ndro

Exhibition area: Kompleksi "Goldi"

10th September

<http://www.tiranabiennale.net/episode_2.htm>EPISODE 2
<http://www.tiranabiennale.net/episode_2.htm>[TO LOSE WITHOUT BEING A
LOOSER]

Edited by:  Roberto Pinto

Exhibition area: Kompleksi "Goldi"

20th September

<http://www.tiranabiennale.net/episode_3.htm>EPISODE 3 [DEMOCRACIES]

Editd by:  Zdenka Badovinac

Exhibition area: "National Gallery"

30th September

<http://www.tiranabiennale.net/episode_4.htm>EPISODE 4 [BITTERSWEET]

Edited by:  Joa Ljungberg

Exhibition area: Kompleksi "Goldi"

14th October

<http://www.tiranabiennale.net/episode_5.htm>EPISODE 5 [GO INSIDE]

Edited by:  Hanru Hou

Exhibition area: The National Gallery of Arts

28th October

EXHIBITION HEADQUARTERS

Kompleksi ãGoldiä

Rr. Dibres 229