[spectre] STUDIO XX FB # 59 : Nina Czegledy :: Spacearts

Webmestre stephanie at studioxx.org
Fri Oct 21 16:29:55 CEST 2005

-----------------------------
STUDIO XX Femmes Branchées # 59
Nina Czegledy presents Spacearts: Science and Fiction.
October 27th, 2005
5:30 - 7:30

And after,
we celebrate the launch of .dpi issue number 4: time/space/architecture
and enjoy the first presentation of the Automatic Gallery: Justyna
Latek: Product
-----------------------------

In keeping with our programming thematic of Science Fictions and the
creation of our space times, we have invited internationally renowned
cultural producer, Nina Czegledy, to guide us on a tour of the Spacearts
network and beyond.

Informed by her personal work as a curator, media artist and writer, as
well as a member of the Space Art Network as well as the Advisory
Committee for Leonardo/Olats Space and the Arts Projects, Czegledy has
unique access and insights into the projects and the ramifications of
our cultural fascination with outer space.

"Artists have been at the forefront of space exploration since its very
beginning. Their works of imagination have stimulated and catalyzed a
new human endeavor. Works of art and literature about space have both
anticipated and stimulated space development while exploring
destinations and technological concepts that were often too dangerous,
too distant or too advanced for the science and technology of the moment.

Today, a new breed of contemporary artists have initiated projects to
explore outer space on their own terms by realizing their art beyond
Earth or with their own bodies in weightlessness."
* Taken from the front page of the spacearts.info site

Projects such as the Mars Patent have taken a uniquely feminist
perspective in seeking a site for works not welcome on this planet, or
in need of "geographical redefinition".

links
http://www.spacearts.info/
http://www.olats.org/
http://www.ours.ch/

Leonardo/OLATS - the French branch of Leonardo/Isast (the International
Society for the Arts, Science and Technology) and the OURS Foundation -
a non-profit cultural and astronautical organization based in
Switzerland have embarked on an ambitious project to comprehensively
document this vast and new genre of space art.

Also this evening we will launch:

Our first edition of the STUDIO XX Automatic Gallery
featuring the work of :

Justyna Latek: PRODUCT ::

In contemporary life, a barrage of images surrounds us, even within our
own work and production environment here at the studio. In recognition
of this state, and a desire to be part of its construction, the
Automatic Gallery was born. Justyna Latek's work PRODUCT: revolution and
elevation seemed an apt starting point.

Product: Revolution and Elevation
"In this project, I am working on space and movement in commercial
centers. These film are composed of a multitude of shots taken from the
elevators and revolving doors of a couple of shopping centers in Montreal.
My aim is to push the aesthetics of commercial spaces and reveal their
hyper-hypnotic effect: humans devoured by the rhythm of consumer
products. The commercial space's visual feasts masquerade as a new and
unique adventure for the agitated body of the consumer. His/her endless
and frantic pursuit of instant gratification prevents contentment and
serenity.
Swept along by the concurrently fluid and jerky movement of the elevator
and the revolving door, the spectator will experience a disconnection
from time."

 From this suite of works, Justyna will cull a section to act as
screensaver for our computers and displays - problematizing the screens,
reminding us of the relation between capitol and computation, furthering
our drive to work in open source software, or hypnotizing us further?

And to complete the evening!

DPI : Studio XX Electronic Review ::
Thematic this issue : Architecture

Feature articles include

+ The Future of Space. Towards an Architecture of Invention by Elisabeth
Grosz
STUDIO XX would like to acknowledge the generosity and support shown by
Elizabeth Grosz in allowing us to reprint this article. The piece
originally appeared in Architecture from the Outside: Essays on Virtual
and Real Space, ed. Elizabeth Grosz with a foreword by Peter Eisenman.
MIT Press, 2001. We would also like to recognize MIT Press for its work
in bringing such germinal texts to light.

+ Les Ondes Martenot of Suzanne Binet-Audet

+ habitgram a project by beewoo + video documentation

+ The "archisculptures" of Richard Greaves by Katherine Lapierre

+ Nathalie Charbonneau, Ivanka Iordanova and Nada El-Khoury : 3 doctoral
candidates at the heart of GRCAO (research and development group for
computer assisted architecture) at the University of Montréal present
their current projects accompanied by short texts.

AND MORE...
http://dpi.studioxx.org/

The presentations will be in both French and English.
All are welcome.
3$ :: free for members
Please pass on this invitation! Hope to see you there!

STUDIO XX
338 Terrasse Saint-Denis, Montréal (Québec) H2X 1E8
Just south of Sherbrooke off St. Denis
bus 24 (Sherbrooke) or 125 (Ontario).
(514) 845-7934 / http://www.studioxx.org
Information: info at studioxx.org

BIOS:

Nina Czegledy is an independent media artist, curator and writer, who
has collaborated on international projects, produced digital works, and
lead and participated in workshops, forums and festivals.
Electromagnetic Bodies, Digitized Bodies Virtual Spectacles, and the
Aurora projects reflect her interests in art, science, and technology
and focus on the changing perception of the human body. Czegledy has
curated over 20 digital art/video programs presented in more than 35
countries and initiated Points of Entry, the first Canada/Australia/New
Zealand digital arts collaboration. Her academic lectures lead to
numerous publications in books and journals in Europe, North and South
America and Asia. Czegledy's interest in wearable technologies is
reflected by her research and lectures in Europe and Canada,
publications concerning garment-based interfaces and wearable tools, and
participation in the wearable events including moderating the Conjuring
Bodies panel at ISEA2004. Czegledy is the president of Critical Media, a
Canadian based knowledge institute, curator of the Canada Digital
Culture map, and an active member of the Leonardo SpaceArt Network. Nina
Czegledy is the current chair of the Inter Society for the Electronic
Arts (ISEA)

Justyna Latek is a multidisciplinary artist with degrees in Art History,
Visual Arts and Design. She is currently working on a graduate degree in
Computer Science at Concordia University. She works in photography,
video and interactive video. Her favorite part of the creative process
is to cut things up and reassemble them. She has obtained grants from
CALQ (Conseil des Arts et des Lettres du Québec) and CIAM (Centre
Inter-universitaire en Arts Médiatiques), and her work is being
co-produced by Videographe and Daïmon. She has shown her work in the
Canada, the US, France and Spain.

Elizabeth Grosz teaches Women's and Gender Studies at Rutgers
University. She is the author most recently of The Nick of Time,
Evolution, Politics and the Untimely (Duke University Press, 2004) and
Time Travels. Feminism, Power, Nature (Duke University Press, 2005).

More bio info will be available at http://dpi.studioxx.org/ on our
publication date October 27th!

-30-

Founded in 1996, Studio XX is Montreal’s foremost women’s digital
resource centre. Through a variety of creative activities and
initiatives, the Studio works with women to demystify digital
technologies, to critically examine their social aspects, to facilitate
women’s access to technology, and to create and exhibit women’s new
digital art.

Studio XX thanks its members and partners for their continued generous
support : the Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec, the Canadian
Arts Council, the Conseil des arts de Montréal.