[spectre] Fwd: ::fibreculture:: Jakarta: Indep Arts Centre Under Attack from Religious Extremists

EAF Director director at eaf.asn.au
Thu Sep 8 07:38:58 CEST 2005

>To: fibreculture <fibreculture at lists.myspinach.org>
>From: "Mathieu O'Neil" <oneil at homemail.com.au>
>Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 14:45:37 +1000
>
>Forwarding a message from Weng Choy (Substation Arts Centre / Singapore).
>M.
>
>Dear all,
>
>Kommunitas Utan Kayu in Jakarta,  a "sister"
>institution to The Substation has come under
>attack from religious extremists.
>
>Goenawan Mohamad and other artists from the
>community have been camping out at the centre to
>protect the building:
>
>Please send your words of solidarity to
>Community Utan Kayu, c/o Hasif Amini <hasif at gmx.net>
>
>Lucy & Weng Choy
>
>On Monday, 6 September 2005, following fresh
>threats of violence from hardliners, the Utan
>Kayu Community (KUK) released a press statement
>read by its founder, Goenawan Mohamad.  The
>statement is as follows:
>
>1.	We, as workers in the fields of culture,
>media, and education at Komunitas Utan Kayu,
>declare that we will continue our efforts to
>maintain and expand the freedom of thought and
>freedom of expression guaranteed in the
>Constitution of the Republic of Indonesia.
>2.	We reject all efforts to suppress differences in thought and religion.
>3.	We believe that difference of opinion is
>a God-given right. Further, that discussion and
>difference of opinion play a vital part in the
>democratization of our nation.
>4.	We will not accept any individual or
>group that uses the name of God to justify
>arbitrary threats and violence.
>5.	We will not allow harrassment and
>despotism to prevail thus dragging Indonesia to a
>state of lawlessness and anarchy.
>6.	We call upon the Indonesian security
>apparatus to protect the rule of law as mandated
>by the Constitution.
>

>1.
>
>In the last month, the Utan Kayu cultural centre
>in East Jakarta has been standing sentry against
>a planned attack by conservative Indonesian
>Muslim groups who feel that the centre's Liberal
>Islam Network (JIL) has insulted them and the
>Indonesian Ulema Council (MUI).
>
>In a recent radio talk show, JIL co-founder Ulil
>Abshar Abdala has labeled the edicts issued by
>MUI "foolish."  He publicly apologized for his
>statement, but defended his right to criticize
>the edicts.
>
>Ulil pointed to several edicts that he felt were
>baseless, such as those banning pluralism and
>joint prayers, and especially the one declaring
>the Ahmadiyah sect to be a heretical movement,
>and its followers to be murtad (apostates).
>
>"The Ahmadis have suffered from various physical
>and emotional pressures, such as intimidation,
>threats and the destruction of their mosques,
>while they are in fact a part of Islam," Ulil
>argued.
>
>He said that the MUI should be reformed to better reflect Islam in Indonesia.
>
>"The MUI itself has to reflect the variety of
> [...]

EXPERIMENTAL ART FOUNDATION curates its
exhibition program to represent new work that
expands current debates and ideas in contemporary
visual art. The EAF incorporates a gallery space,
bookshop and artists studios.

Lion Arts Centre North Terrace at Morphett Street
Adelaide * PO Box 8091 Station Arcade South
Australia 5000 * Tel: +618 8211 7505  * Fax +618
8211 7323 * eaf at eaf.asn.au  * Bookshop:
eafbooks at eaf.asn.au * http://www.eaf.asn.au *
Director: Melentie Pandilovski

The Experimental Art Foundation is assisted by
the Commonwealth Government through the Australia
Council, it arts funding and advisory body, by
the South Australian Government through Arts SA,
and through the Visual Arts and Craft Strategy,
an initiative of the Australian, State and
Territory Governments.